Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Northface Powder Guide Vest
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 pm 

Hi there,
I'm currently looking at one of these for day trips, side country etc and interested in anyone who's used anything like this before. It appears to have enough to carry poles, skins etc and seems a relatively convenient way to do it if you don't want a back pack.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-jackets-vests/mens-powder-guide-vest.html?from=subCat&variationId=F89

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Northface Powder Guide Vest
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:20 pm 

I just saw this the other day, Def a solid option for slack/side country missions. I was also thinking it would be bomber for sledding so I don't have to carry the pack.

Thinking it would be killer for my gf to help distribute the weight more even on her body, the pack even at day trip weight throws her off pretty good. She only weighs a buck 20 after turkey day..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:55 pm 

I like the idea, but it's not quite clear which pocket you are fitting the skins in unless you are placing them underneath the shovel blade. I'd rather not put them there for fear is dislodgement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:36 pm 

We trail runners have been using vest packs for sometime because of the load stability they offer while moving the upper body and the ease with which smal litems like cameras, food, etc., can be accessed. I often thought this would be a great option for the way I tour... Although it is a bit spending for a first generation I might have to give it try. :scratch:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:38 pm 

I like the idea, I checked one out in the store. But I am not sure how it would really be. Seems if you used the board carry, being so close to your body might be annoying, and the shovel is right there as well..Also, I don't like to be hot when I am skinning, so I don't know how warm this would make you. It would be interesting to try, ski patrollers have been using them for a while. I wonder if it holds enough? Like water, I always carry quite a bit of it.

Might be nice as a second pack for day tripping out of a hut, when you can leave stuff at the hut.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:43 pm 

The Patrollers/Guides at Silverton Mtn use this vest and it looks like a pretty sweet rig. I would inquire there for opinions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:48 am 

Just ordered one of these, I'll let you know how it works.
I'm mainly wanting it for lift-accessed slackcountry riding because my main pack is sort of overkill, but I'm hoping it will also work for day-trips.
I'm not too worried about where to put my skins, I'll normally just keep them in my jacket while I ride so they stay warm, but where to put my poles might be an interesting conundrum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:32 am 

i ordered one before the season, put my day trip stuff in it and wore it around the house a bit. then i ended up sending it back.

its a cool piece, just has very limited use in the BC and i didn't think i'd use it much. i also didn't like the feel of so much vest covering up my jacket. i could see it being a pretty sweaty addition to hikes.

you'll have no problem stashing skins, in either the central pocket on the back, the vertical 'slash' pockets on the chest or the trampstamp pocket.

i just think that a backpack carries the weight of all the necessary gear better, easier to fit beacons/lungs under, offers more breathability in your goretex.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:54 am 

Yeah I could definitely see this piece not working for the majority of riders.
The attraction for me is that I do a lot of miles exploring and usually only wear a coat while descending.
I'm currently leaning towards randonee packs, but I'm still interested in any user feedback, pro or con.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:59 am 

i have had an Ogio Flak Jacket that i have used for a couple of years now. Ogio quit making this a couple of years ago, but you can still find them out there (http://www.baysideperformance.com/index ... s_id=20689)

It is one almost my favorite piece of equipment. I can fit avy probe, shovel, camelback, 1 day worth of food, extra layer, skins, tools, my stash, bear spray, skis/snowboard, poles and more on it. It keeps me super warm and provides a layer of protection (has a embedded spine protector). Plus i look all tactical'd out ha!

I use it for slack country and 1 day trips- and now dont carry a backpack unless absolutely necessary (or if it is too hot for the Ogio vest!). To be able to carry the weight centered around my body is very comfortable, as opposed to hanging all off of my back. It can get hot on spring days though...

The problem i would have with the NF vest is that it almost looks too small for BC, for my preferences. Maybe I just enjoy carrying a good bit of shit though... i'm no cowboy :wink:

big fan of the vest idea though

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:42 pm 

Thanks for all the responses,
I've come to the conclusion that for me this probably won't work. Whilst i do get to the US and Japan regularly, I spend most of my time in the back country here in Australia and it's just too warm (especially skinning). I need to be able to put my jacket and warmer layers in something and i don't think this would work. Also i tend to be in just a t-shirt most of the time on the skin up and I think I would over heat pretty quickly with this on.

Looks like the 15 litre backpack will be staying for day trips.