Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pole Options
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:20 am 

I am just getting into backcountry boarding. Getting my first splitboard & all the gear. It looks like I have 3 options for poles. The Atlas 7075 Jaw 3-piece Electra, Black Diamond Expedition, and Black Diamond Compactor. Does anyone have any recommendations?

(I am leaning toward the Atlas product because it is the lightest weight & has a women specific option...and I am only 5' & 120 lbs, but I could find any reviews on the product.)

Post subject: Re: Pole Options
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:05 am 

The Black Diamond Expedition seems to be the favorite choice among splitters. They're light and collapse down shorter than lots of other 3-piece trekking poles. Not sure how the Atlas Elektra compares... looks like it collapses pretty short too.

One advantage I think the BD Expedition has over the Atlas is the "hook" shape of the end of the BD handle.
This comes in handy when you need to raise the climbing wires under your bindings when you are in tour mode. Otherwise, it gets pretty awkward when you have to bend down and reach under there to lift them by hand.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:21 am 

The Black Diamond Contour Eliptical poles in the compact size are super nice. I think BD considers them trekking poles, but you can put powder baskets on all the same. They have a max length of 125cm, which is plenty, and they collapse very small (25"). They use the flick lock mechanism which never freezes and is easy to operate with gloves. When we used to use twist lock poles (Leki, etc) my wife was always handing me hers to adjust because they would freeze or jam and she couldn't get them unstuck. No problems with the BD poles. Very stiff and light too. I'd buy another set in a heartbeat.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:12 am 

I use BD poles as well, but was wondering if anyone has tried the Voile poles? Anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:05 am 

Matt Wood wrote:
I use BD poles as well, but was wondering if anyone has tried the Voile poles? Anyone?

I had a pair. They worked but I didn't like them. The holes caused a whistling sound whenever te wind blew. Sounds stupid but it was really annoying. They also bent pretty easily.

The bd flicklock poles are the shit. Sturdy, easy to work with gloves on, and pack up pretty small.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:33 pm 

BD compactors are really slick, have a new pair in my hands. BD gave me 10% off for signing up for their newsletter. BD flicklocks in general are unparallelled as a locking mechanism, if only they had one board scraping handle like the Voile poles-almost enough reason to buy the Voiles, but not quite.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:42 am 

These poles are great for Women, 16mm makes them lightweight and they are three piece with a snap lock lower. Perfect for Splitting:

http://www.scott-sports.com/gb_en/produ ... 965/217211

Chimp

Prior SwallowTail
Jones Hovercraft
Chimera Sceptre
W/Spark R&D Bindings, Spark R&D Skins
Twitter/Instagram: @theScottBikeman
http://adrianmontgomery.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:20 am 

loud poles??? Deal breaker. Thanks for the insight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:32 pm 

+1 for BD Eliptical poles with powder baskets. They have one flicklock and one "Auto-lock binary" mechanism on the lower section.

The best thing about these is that you can leave the upper flicklock section at your desired length and collapse the lower section when riding. Since the lower section only has one possible length, you just snap it back out and your back to full length without looking or messing with it. Pretty sweet when you're carrying poles in your hand so you can push across a flat or traverse during your descent and avoid unstrapping.