Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verts vs hinged snowshoe?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:18 pm 

Can anybody tell me what the pros and cons between spark verts and say a traditional hinged snowshoe? In specific I bought MSR lightning ascents a month ago but just purchased a pair of Burner bindings and was considering ditching the MSR's for the verts. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Verts vs hinged snowshoe?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:40 pm 

verts are to steep powder slopes what crampons are to ice...kinda. If you're booting up a steep slope in pow, the last thing you want is a hinged snowshoe, they'll just pivot to the slope angle, and you'll slide down.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:54 pm 

For just walking around on snow that is flattish to low angle, any normal snowshoe is going to work better than Verts (Verts will work but they're not as comfortable as a pivoting snowshoe). But that kind of terrain is why you have a splitboard! Verts shine when going straight up steep chutes in deep pow when it's too steep to skin, and/or you don't want a zigzag skintrack filling up the chute, and in those conditions any regular snowshoe is gonna suck. I think Jeremy's comparison between engine-assisted vs. human-powered ascent methods was:

splitboard == snowmo
Verts == heli

:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:45 am 

As others have said, Verts are for going up the steep and deep. They make a sick staircase right up the steepest faces. Super useful tool for going up. They are also very light and small, I have the traditional bindings on them and keep them inside my pack when not in use. However, walking on flats or downhill in them can be a little tricky.

I don't even own a pair of snowshoes anymore. They are basically useless if you have a split.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:00 am 

You can kick steps with MSR snowshoes but it takes a little extra energy with every step. You could also tie the heel of your snowshoe binding down for the same effect.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 am 

Jason4 wrote:
You can kick steps with MSR snowshoes but it takes a little extra energy with every step. You could also tie the heel of your snowshoe binding down for the same effect.

The main advantage of the Verts on the uphill is the fact that they don't curve up at the toe and the foot is mounted more forward so that it gains a better purchase on the snow. MSR snowshoes, even with the heel strapped down, will not climb as well because the portion of the snowshoe in front of the foot creates more of a lever, and the upward curved toe creates problems with edging.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:53 pm 

Some key things missed, on top of what everyone else mentioned.

Weight
MSR Lightning Ascents - 3lb 13oz to 4lb 7oz
Verts - 2lb 8oz

Size - imagine putting in bag
MSR - 22-30 x 8"
Verts - 18.75"x8.5" high flotation design

Price
MSR - $270
Verts - $85

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:44 pm 

Awesome, thanks for all the responses. Guess I'll hold off on the verts as I'm still just starting off with splitboarding and doubt I'll be doing any intense enough climbs to need the verts(for now). I'll keep the MSR's just for leisurely hikes around the area.

summersgone, the MSR's actually mount amazingly to a pack using the exterior snowboard carry straps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm 

eh, if you tried them, you'd probably be ditching the snowshoes for the verts even for just climbing 20 to 30 degree ridgelines, and they walk fine on the flats because your toe is lined up to the front. Sell the shoes

With snowshoes its possible to add a voile heel riser and single file up soft skin tracks without ruining the skin track, but the best approach with either shoes or verts is to just pick a peak or a nice wall and set one nice staircase where you can get a bunch of good lines out of the same up track. (the 1980s strategy)

It is actually super efficient to climb a straight up pre-set vert track and really fast, it just hurts a bit more putting it in the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:11 pm 

Thx for the info, been thinking of some verts