Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DryQ Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:56 am 

**EDIT: I started this thread about Neoshell and went with DryQ elite, changed the subject to reflect**

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with NeoShell yet? All the reviews I hear make it out to be way more breathable then any other jacket material out there including Event DryQ and GoreTex Active Shell. I was wondering how this compares to softshell in terms of breathability, and if anyone can back up the reviews? As for packability and weight, it seems to be lighter and pack better then most softshell. I am interested in it for touring more so then softshells and if it is as good as it has reviewed, I may get it.

The biggest issue I am seeing now is that most of the jackets out there have no pit zips. Although it claims to be so breathable it doesn't need it, I still want pit zips. The only ones I have found are Westcombs.

Feeling this material could be the best thing for touring out, just want some others opinions.

Post subject: Re: NeoShell
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:11 am 

marketing hype, Backpackinglight.com did a really good write up on 10+ different shells with outdoor testing for each, they all suck.

Montane Spektr (eVent) and Stoic Vaporshell (proprietary ePTFE) won over the new neoshell and other stuff, you can subscribe or buy the article if you want to read it , its long and scientific and well written.

your better off buying a cheap jacket with pit zips once those are open it doesn't really matter how breathable the shell is.

i was looking into buying a new neoshell jacket,there adds really do work well. :bananas:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 am 

Its interesting that Marmot is marketing Neoshell as a waterproof softshell, and Westcomb is saying it is a hardshell. I got to feel Rabs Stretch, and feels sort of like a hybrid. I have a Burton AK shell with gore tex performance shell, that by all means works, just breaths crappy, and I don't wear it unless its -10 and windy. Maybe a straight up softshell is the way to go to complement it. I just like the idea of how packable and lighter neoshell is. Seems much more so then traditional softshell.

I'm also just geeking out in the fall as 90% of this forum has been, I'll admit that. Both the jackets you listed are rain jackets, so I don't really want to compare to those. I don't want a rainjacket for touring.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:50 pm 

I was just reading up on the dry-Q from mountain hardwear. They do offer pit zips on a couple of the jackets in the new line. The one i'm thinking of in particular is called the jovian. it's rated at 40,000/40,000. Ridiculous numbers! I'd just like to hear how it performs in the field. I should've just picked up some gore at the burton blow out here in burlington this summer but i dropped the ball. 350-400 bucks for a shell seems extreme.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:38 am 

Wanted to bring this thread back up. I got a good deal on a Mountain Hardware Kepler, which they say is a Softshell that is waterproof with DryQ Elite. It feels more of a hybrid then either a Soft or Hard shell. It listed on backcountry as 40K waterproof, 30K breathability. I was kind of non believing, but I figured I could return it at any time if I didn't like it.

After a week, all I have to say is, WOW. I have Westcomb pants with Event, and the Dry Q blows the doors off it in terms of breathability. I toured all day to see how it was going to be. It was 35 degrees, and I had a base layer and that on, and I was never clammy, and I tried to get as sweaty as possible. It really does breath. I haven't toured in wet conditions yet, but as soon as it rains or snows, I'm running out in it. I will report back after more tours (snows lacking) but the preliminary report, I am a believer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:11 am 

I have seen the Dry-Q Elite Hardshells in both womens and mens on Steepandcheap for more than half off if anybody is interested. I think the Snowtastic one shows up most often. With your review, I am now considering trying one, as the ~$200 sounds a lot more reasonable than $450.

However I do agree that best ventilation in terms of pit zips, chest vents, etc. is going to be the most versatile. My go-to softshell is a Norrona that actually has a waterproof membrane, but the seams aren't sealed. It has two incredibly large pit zips and chest vents, and it's my favorite softshell I've ever owned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:25 am 

summersgone wrote:
Wanted to bring this thread back up. I got a good deal on a Mountain Hardware Kepler, which they say is a Softshell that is waterproof with DryQ Elite. It feels more of a hybrid then either a Soft or Hard shell. It listed on backcountry as 40K waterproof, 30K breathability. I was kind of non believing, but I figured I could return it at any time if I didn't like it.

After a week, all I have to say is, WOW. I have Westcomb pants with Event, and the Dry Q blows the doors off it in terms of breathability. I toured all day to see how it was going to be. It was 35 degrees, and I had a base layer and that on, and I was never clammy, and I tried to get as sweaty as possible. It really does breath. I haven't toured in wet conditions yet, but as soon as it rains or snows, I'm running out in it. I will report back after more tours (snows lacking) but the preliminary report, I am a believer.

After two disappointing seasons with my Westcomb eVent jacket I've been prematurely forced back in the market. I find that the breath ability is really lacking. I heat up quick, so I start out almost cold, even then I found the jacket got overwhelmed quick. And the cuffs were the first part of the jacket that allowed moisture in. Sucks really, I wanted to support a Canadian made product/company.

I've been looking at the Norrona Lofoten range. Lots of good reviews. I'm interested to hear what your got to say on the Kepler.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:39 am 

bombsaway, I definately cannot give a full review yet. Since it hasn't snowed in the San Juans in what seems like 18 years, I can't say much. I have ran around, hiked in it, did burpies, and biked in it, and so far, what I can conclude is that it breaths awesome (its just weird how non clammy I get, I have not used the pit zips once), as well as wind does not get in. It is not the warmest jacket, which was what I am looking for in a shell.

I'm stoked, but I can't say much because I haven't toured in the snow yet. I will report back though when it comes, but still nothing in the forecast...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:46 am 

summersgone wrote:
bombsaway, I definately cannot give a full review yet. Since it hasn't snowed in the San Juans in what seems like 18 years, I can't say much. I have ran around, hiked in it, did burpies, and biked in it, and so far, what I can conclude is that it breaths awesome (its just weird how non clammy I get, I have not used the pit zips once), as well as wind does not get in. It is not the warmest jacket, which was what I am looking for in a shell.

I'm stoked, but I can't say much because I haven't toured in the snow yet. I will report back though when it comes, but still nothing in the forecast...

So it's good for biking, MTBing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:24 am 

My biking experience was around town on my town bike. I did try to sweat as much as possible. My motivation to dust off the MTB is low. I'm not sure how it would do with MTB spills.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 pm 

Could not help bringing this one back up. DryQ is actually and Event membrane! So a Westcomb to DryQ evaluation is a non-starter.

Event is and always has been one of the best breathables on the market.

Face fabric also plays a part. Gore is pure marketing, and Neo has a cool stretch feel to it.

Wear what you like and open the vents!

Oh, and check out the new Cocona fibers from homeschool, pretty cool! And I know they work for base layers and fising gear.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:05 pm 

Ok, now that you've brought this back up, I'll give my 1 year review.

Pros

Super breathable. I have the Event pants, and yes I know it is similar, but it breathes way better. I find myself opening my zips on my pants way before my jacket. I also can only think of a few times I've actually used the pit zips. I've used the jacket touring in everything from -20F to 40F with it on, and its been awesome. I keep it on at all times generally, just different layering depending on the temperature. 30+ I wear a t-shirt, 10-30 I wear a long sleeve shirt, and <10 I wear a long sleeve with a vest. Its perfect.

Durable. I have not had any rips in it. I've hit trees, shrubs, gone ice climbing, mountain biking, everything, and no signs of real wear. Probably had 100+ days of abuse and still crushing it.

Waterproof and windproof - I have yet to get wet inside it. Gore they say is more waterproof, but I personally don't need any more. I would probably get the hardshell if I was in a very wet climate (San Juans aren't) because of the water shedding properties, but I have worn it in BC under dumping conditions in 40 mph winds and it all stayed out. Been extremely impressed.

Simple design - Fits a helmet nicely, good spaced pockets for a harness and in general, not too many pockets, good zip downs for sizing.

Cons

Jacket doesn't shed water all that well. I didn't get the hardshell version of DryQ, and this may be why. I find that when it is really dumping or wet (I have worn in place of my rain jacket) it collects wetness on the outside. Inside is still dry.

Zippers are tough. They aren't that smooth, but they are waterproof.

Fit is tight. I went from a Small burton AK jacket to Large MH jacket.

Not a fan of the height of the zipper on your face. I liked the AK design being higher and looser. This one is tight and low, so not as good when fully zipped. On those cold stormy days riding, a face protection like a Buff is necessary.

Not pro or con, but its not a warm jacket. Layer and bring a puffy, but while you are moving, its solid. Stopping for 5-10 minutes is ok, any longer, you will get cold.

Overall I recommend this fabric and Mountain Hardware Jackets to everyone. For touring, it is perfect for me. I think I run hot generally, and I can literally keep this jacket on all day if it is under 40 degrees. I don't always wear it as the resort, as I have another jacket that is warmer and better suited for resort days. Make sure to try it on first to get the right sizing. Even my two good buddies are stoked on it.

Post subject: Re: DryQ Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:17 pm 

summersgone
When you say you normally wear a small and you brought a large, is this correct?
I've been looking to get one on these for a while as the weather in Australia is rarely below -10 degC.
I run hot too and mostly tour with just a merino thermal on as I sweat a bit!
I normally wear a XL, so suppose I'll need a XXL.

Let me know if these sizing is that far out.

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne