Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: gecko skins
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:07 am 

Interesting. My 'adhesive' is not coming off in patches as the wildsnow folks reported, but at the end of the season I did use base cleaner to remove the slime/goo residue from my bases. As I mentioned earlier, it did not seem to affect my glide in an obvious way, and it cleaned up easily, but I have never had residue build-up from other skins before. I'll be curious to see what this next season brings.

With traditional glue skins you can revive them with a warm iron and parchment paper, or just re-glue them. I really have no idea what you do long term if your Geckos start to lack stick.

For the time being, I do still like them as well or better than traditional skins. Good glide, good traction, good stick. Just a little clean up needed sometimes.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:37 am 

Whoa, looks like the price is up to $240 for the split specific skins on their web store. With the Voile skins on sale for $120 on Backcountry, there's no way I can justify that price.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:16 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
Interesting. My 'adhesive' is not coming off in patches as the wildsnow folks reported, but at the end of the season I did use base cleaner to remove the slime/goo residue from my bases. As I mentioned earlier, it did not seem to affect my glide in an obvious way, and it cleaned up easily, but I have never had residue build-up from other skins before. I'll be curious to see what this next season brings.

My adhesive did come off in a few patches much as wildsnow reported, however it had zero effect other than cosmetics - even with this defect (and it is a defect, that they should fix), I would not trade these skins for anything else, even at the price they come in at.

That's just my take! With newer bindings, poles, etc, we are constantly trying to find ways to make transition times faster and the process easier - with traditional skins, a pretty significant chunk of that (and some of the more frustrating parts) is spent messing around with skins..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:28 pm 

I've developed an issue with my Geckos (probably user error)

I've got some kind of black gunk on the sticky side of the skin which transfers to the base of my board which inhibits glide to a noticeable effect. I've washed them with warm water and a brush a couple of times with little result. I also put paper bags on the skin and peeled them back off which gave me a better result but not great. It's also no small task to remove the stuff from the base of my board. WD 40 works the best but still sub optimal. I don't even know what the stuff is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:08 pm 

That's the same stuff the rest of us are talking about, and it's not user error; it's a problem with the adhesive Gekko uses. Some base cleaner (ski wax solvent) will take it off and not hurt your bases. Just wax after you let the solvent evaporate.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:49 pm 

jerrett wrote:
My adhesive did come off in a few patches much as wildsnow reported, however it had zero effect other than cosmetics - even with this defect (and it is a defect, that they should fix), I would not trade these skins for anything else, even at the price they come in at.

That's just my take! With newer bindings, poles, etc, we are constantly trying to find ways to make transition times faster and the process easier - with traditional skins, a pretty significant chunk of that (and some of the more frustrating parts) is spent messing around with skins..

Same with me :thumpsup: :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:50 pm 

I have a theory about what this stuff is. My stuff is black (is that the same for everyone else?) as is the mohair. When I 1st trimed my skins I took them all the way to the edge and they have now eroded to the inside of the metal edge. So my guess is that as the skin wore away the mohair got mixed in with the stickup on the skin and then transfers to the base.
Any ideas on how to get the gunk that's sticking to my base off of the skin?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:31 pm 

Hey guys, has anyone experiencing these problems with the Geckos asked the company about the problem? I would think that they would want to make this right, considering the "premium" nature of their product.
I would kind of expect them to replace the defective product… Especially considering what was reported at wildsnow.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:46 pm 

Reading the discusion section from Lou's review , (look really far down at the bottom, http://www.wildsnow.com/6281/gecko-skins-review/) Ian from Gecko responded to this issue. Sounds like this issue is apart of the growing pains of doing something new. I had a chance to demo a pair of these skins and I must say, I really liked them and I ordered a pair. This issue should be fixed for this year and beyond and if you have a pair of the older skins and having problem, you should contact them directly. I have met Ian and he is a stand up guy and will do you right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:19 pm 

PSA; Here a video on installing Gecko skins, I found Youtube:

FYI: I prefer the G3 Skin Trimmer! It works perfect every-time I have trimmed a pair of skins.

http://www.genuineguidegear.com/gear/accessories/trim-tool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:14 am 

Right when I was almost certain I was going to get the geckos I saw this thread and now I don't know any more.

Got my first split this summer (Unity Dominion 164), haven't tried it but I'm really eager to do so when winter comes. Need a pair of skins and I prefer keeping things simple (No glue > glue), but not at any cost.

Could anyone give me some advice what skins to consider? Will the positive sides of the geckos be worth some of this black stuff coming off?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:23 am 

I'd still go Gecko.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 am 

Ok, thanks.

As I understand it they've only got one version for splitboards - if I order one online called saying it's for splitboard that should be it? (Saw discussion about new ones in red/pink colors and so on). Don't want to end up buying the wrong stuff..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next