Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - gecko skins

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: gecko skins
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:33 am 

Because the Burton Split comes with Gecko skins. At least I'm pretty sure here in Europe it does as the guy I bought my split off ordered the Nug and was selling his skins also because he said it came with Gecko's.

Can I ask if you old Gecko's had one of those useless metal hooks at the back that can't be used on a splitboaord at all? And would you say the new ones actually work in securing the back of the skin?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 am 

That's interesting. I have not seen/heard of Burton splits being sold with Geckos in the states. Maybe that is a new thing, or a Europe-only partnership?

I have not put my new Geckos together yet. I used my conventional glue skins this weekend. I'm sure the new tail hooks would hold fine. They function just like the G3 tail clips, albeit without the metal hooks. My old Geckos did not come with any tail hardware, and I used Spark tail clips.

If I get motivated I'll assemble the Geckos this week.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:10 am 

Dunno, not really an expert on Burton. But I think you can't even get them without Gecko's here in some cases.
http://biwakscharte.de/Burton-Spliff-Sp ... :6714.html

It might be in Germany only, but it sounds like a good deal to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:32 pm 

That's weird. I just bought a Burton Spliff a few weeks ago (in the US) and it definitely did not come with Gecko skins... in fact I'm in the process of ordering some Geckos for it! I did notice that the Gecko website had a splitboard setup video which was using a Burton Freebird. It does look like that link you posted has a price that's higher than what I paid for the board alone, but not sure how much of that is just overseas price difference. Anyway if it comes with Geckos, you're stoked!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 pm 

I used the tail hooks instead of the stock tip pieces and drilled a second hole in them, and did a fixed-angle mount using two rivets to replace the ridiculous [to me] hinged tip the skins shipped with.

I didn't care for the Gecko tails so I used my much (MUCH!) more compact Spark setup.

Should be good now. :thumpsup:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 am 

philip.ak wrote:
I used the tail hooks instead of the stock tip pieces and drilled a second hole in them, and did a fixed-angle mount using two rivets to replace the ridiculous [to me] hinged tip the skins shipped with.

I didn't care for the Gecko tails so I used my much (MUCH!) more compact Spark setup.

Very nice!
Im in the process of getting my 2012 set warrentied as i got tired of buffing the tar off after four laps. how long did the warrenty switch take, how are the new one for leaving residue??
Should be good now. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:33 am 

It took about a week and a half from when my dealer contacted them until I received the new ones. This was right after the holidays. Gecko never responded to my query submitted via their site, but was responsive to the shop where I bought them. They may have low stock, so there could be waits while they receive more shipments in.

I have not used the new ones yet. I just put them together last night.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:10 pm 

I have one day on them so far. Pretty much like I remember the original ones being in the beginning. Nice grip, zero fuss, compact and light. The tip hooks are a little too large in my opinion and would get a bit hung up on the tip hooks, so I cut the gecko's toes off. There is still more of a hook there than with G3 skins or the Spark tail clips.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 pm 

Trialed my geckos up Mt Rainier over the weekend. I liked them a lot. I'll probably end up ditching the gecko tail clip. They performed well in a variety of conditions (icy, hard hard wind affect, slush). They did slip out on slopes around 30 degrees with uneven snow, but thats probably my technique or lack thereof.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:16 pm 

A tele-skiier friend was out on his 2012 Geckos for the first time today and they were already falling apart on him after about an hour. It was pretty cold and conditions were quite firm, but he did not 'ski' on them any appreciable distance. Just your basic crusty climb up a mountain. Patches of adhesive were missing and you could see the plush fabric weave underneath. Needless to say he was not impressed and will be getting his $$ back. :thumbsdown:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:47 pm 

Mine lasted two days. The first day was great. The second day, we walked a long way on a flat/rolling ridge after bailing on where we had hoped to ride down. A lot of glue came off and the edges are frayed and torn (partner's skins are fine). doh. I don't expect them to be replaced on warranty, because they were ski skins that I got on sale and sewed / trimmed for the board.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:16 pm 

treetop wrote:
I don't expect them to be replaced on warranty...

I'd try anyway. They are a totally defective product aside from any modifications you did. Get in touch with your dealer and explain how they totally exploded on you, bring along this thread on your iPad and show them the issues, and Gecko will replace the original skin models. Gecko sent me new skins before I returned my old ones. It's not like they asked what I had done to them before replacing them.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:02 am 

back to the discussion about Burton+Gecko, it seems that it's not in the whole Europe.
In Spain and Andorra they have an agreement with Voile, so they come with Voile kit and skins.

But in Germany they come for sure with Gecko, and we got some test boards from Burton Europe, which is based in Austria, and they came with Gecko skins.
Since Gecko is from Austria, I'm guessing they have this agreement in the german speaking countries.

http://www.splitboardmag.com
http://www.facebook.com/splitboardmag1
https://twitter.com/splitboardmag
http://instagram.com/splitboardmag

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next