Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: gecko skins
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:32 am 

Red Geckos are the "race skins" and as I know only for ski. Splitboard skins are only one size, at least in Europe - 14cm wide, 170cm long.

I love the Geckos, only time will tell how much the sticky thing will last, but for now they are perfect for me. Good grip, nice slide, low weight and no hassle with glue :headbang:
Worked from freezing temperatures to hot spring flawless.
3-5 times per day on and off no problem whatever the conditions are, dropping in snow, dirt never mind, clean with melted snow or water and they just work and that is worth the money for me. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:01 am 

How would a pair of 130mm gecko skins for skis work for a split?

The waist of my Unity Dominion should be ok with any of the skins (130 vs 140 mm wide), tail and nose will not be wide enough on any of them. As for front and back clips, that shouldn't be too bad changing yourself, right?

A friend of mine got a pair of 130 gecko for skis. He got them with a pair of skis he bought and he don't need them. Should I buy them really cheap and use them with my split?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:27 am 

They will be fine for width, where it counts is under your heel, the nose and tail generally dont do much and 10mm will make next to no difference in performance. The only issue may be the front clip not being on an angle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:50 am 

Hey, thanks for your reply.

That's what I was thinking. As I could buy the 130mm's very much cheaper than the 140mm's split skins I wouldn't mind having to adjust some clips.

What front and back clips would you guys recommend? Anyone used the Black Diamond trim tool? I'm a total beginner and would appreciate any kind of advice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:48 am 

The G3 trim tool is super nice and way easier to do a good job with than the standard letter-opener style cutting tools.

You could probably reuse the tip loops from the current skins. Just drill the rivets out, cut the material to allow you to use an angled tip loop, fold a bit of the skin over the wire loop and then sew them in place using dental floss (or organize some new rivets).

The Spark tail clips are very expensive for what you get, but work extremely well. I'd stick with those. If you look back in this thread, those are my red Geckos with Spark tail clips.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:25 pm 

Thank you philip!

I had a look at the skins. They did not come with the same tip loops as the other geckos I've seen. These came with small hooks in the end of both skins and nothing more. They seem to be another version made by Austrian MPSports (www.mpsports.at - redirecting you to Austrian Gecko).

They look a bit more blueish than what I can see from other pictures (the "normal" ones are black, right?), with a white adhesive side.

When googling MPsports gecko skins I found some more info;
http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/144/

So, does not look like a very good deal anyway. People do not seem very happy with these MPsports geckos at all. And I thought I just found myself a real bargain.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:14 pm 

I don't know what most people's look like, but mine are the red "race" models. They have a somewhat faded-blood-red plush side, and the glue side is basically black. I have at least 20 days touring on them in a variety of snow, but mostly wet spring corn and mashed potatoes. They seem to be working well other than shedding some goo onto my bases.

With conventional glue skins, I know exactly how to rejuvenate them if they start losing their stick. I have no idea what the long-term strategy is for Geckos if the 'adhesive' starts getting tired or fails in some way.

I love the Gecko concept. I like the execution so far. I worry about the future a little.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:36 pm 

JAQ:
Gecko skins are made in Austria! So there is no another Austrian version, there is ONLY Austrian version :wink:
There are only two types today: the red ones (racing skins) and the black ones (normal skins), both have black "glue" side. The ones with white "glue" side were the older version.

As for splitboard skins, I bought two pairs, one came without tail clips, another with the tail clips, but narrow tail clips as for ski, but I don't use them anyway because it's completely unnecessary.

For 2012/2013 season they changed the tip loops and tail clips for the ones with the small gecko hands as seen on the Splitboard instruction video on their site.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm 

DAAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNN. I just got to handle a set of these the other night, and boy I wish I had bought these. I don't know the exact specs or how well they perform on an icy skin track, but they are lighter and way more packable than anything else I've ever seen. If they work at least as well as the BDs/G3s, I'd say they are well worth the extra coin for being so small/light.

Not kidding, they are probably something like half the size/weight of other skins.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:02 am 

They perform excellent in straight uphill skining on icy tracks. As long as you are not skinning much of an angle from the fall line on the icy surface they kick ass.
I usually don't get good conditions on here, so most of the time I spent on geckos is on icy pistes and two weeks ago I was able to skin up a black icy piste in the austrian alps. So yes I think they have superb grip. :headbang:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:31 am 

Jefe009 wrote:
Not kidding, they are probably something like half the size/weight of other skins.
Half weight? Would be great if that was true, however philip.ak got other measures:

philip.ak wrote:
Black Diamond Ascension / Voile Tractor splitboard 357g
G3 Alpinist splitboard 319g
Gecko Race splitboard 333g

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:10 pm 

FloImSchnee wrote:
Jefe009 wrote:
Half weight? Would be great if that was true, however philip.ak got other measures:

philip.ak wrote:
Black Diamond Ascension / Voile Tractor splitboard 357g
G3 Alpinist splitboard 319g
Gecko Race splitboard 333g

The ones I saw were not the race ones, they are new for this year. Black in color, Mohair material. They have little plastic gecko feet as the tip clip. Of course I just held them in a bar for a few minutes, but I've had both G3s and BDs (both about the same size and weight) and these seriously felt way lighter and smaller. Just my :twocents: Not that I'm recommending anyone buy them without seeing them first, but I was really impressed with how small and light they were.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:02 pm 

When touring up a snowy road to reach the up track recently, I swapped one ski with my wife. She had a Voile Tractor skin on and I had Geckos. I could not tell any difference in the glide between the two, which surprised me. When I get home I will spend more time with one of each type of skin on my board, but it just reinforced for me that unless you have two different skins mounted at the same time, you really cannot come up with any meaningful comparison.

My Gecko's adhesive is slowly turning into a soft tar-like substance and is still depositing black goo on my bases. I am noticing it affect my glide in colder, more crystalline snow. I take a moment in my transitions to buff my bases with a handful of snow to get the worst of it off. I fear I may have contaminated my p-tex with the stuff when I have waxed. I am starting to see a few small patches of the adhesive missing. If this gets any worse I am going to talk to the dealer where I bought them.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next