Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compact Poles (collapsable) - Anyone used them?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:46 pm 

Looking at getting some new poles, and have come across the Black Diamond Compactor: http://www.earnyourturns.com/2083/compactor-ski-pole/
Anyone used these or something similiar? Just a bit concerned that they may not inspire confidence especially as I am quite a novice at kickturns on steep slopes. I would rather not want to feel them flexing just as I am commiting to an awkward turn.
I have seen the Leki version http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/W ... Stick-pair , but this is designed as a speed ascent trekking pole rather than touring ski pole.

Post subject: Re: Compact Poles (collapsable) - Anyone used them?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:10 am 

Haven't seen many of the zpoles in use yet as they're still pretty new but the main downfall I see vs. the ol' flick lock is lack of adjustability. I like that on steeper slopes I can choke up the pole and use to sort of plunge...not replacement for an axe, but still a useful configuration. Plus, depending on how tall you are, the 7" of adjustment in the z pole may or may not be enough for a comfortable stride.

But they sure do pack down small.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:20 am 

The main criticism in the article is that the baskets are tiny and will punch through the snow. It looks like BD has changed their design with this.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... r-ski-pole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:20 pm 

I have looked at the BD standard trekking style poles such as the 'Ultra Distance Z-Pole' and yes, the basket is tiny and does not offer an option of adding a 'snowbasket'. Yes, the 'compactor' pole for this coming season does have a larger 'snowbasket'. I actually work at an outdoor shop in the Lakes, UK, and as yet, I have not seen the new Compactor. They are not due in the UK until October, and they are only importing a limited supply. I reckon I will bite the bullet and go for them, so when I finally get to use them, watch this space...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:09 pm 

The snow version (Compactor) of the BD Z-poles has a flip-lock for adjusting the length, as well as snow baskets. I used the trekking version all summer including the SpeedGoat 50K (31 miles, 11K vert over rock ) and they are durable. Bye bye Expedition poles, you unwieldy beasts!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:26 am 

Flick-Locks are the deal. I use the BD Trail Compact version, its the lightest and smallest they offered (pre-Compactor). I would rather have the Expedition poles, for durability and you can attach the snow saw to them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:11 pm 

Apparently some people think Distance ZPole by Black Diamond is a pole for snowboarders. Quote from here-

http://www.trekkingpolesguide.com/produ ... ck-Diamond

Finally a pole for snowboarders!!
I think someone is targeting snowboarders/splitboarders....

I stumbled on these in my local REI store. They are amazing poles because of their COMPACTABLE size (they are also light..for trekking, i shave 1/2 lb vs my other poles: 12oz!! Not that I am a super-minimalist, but every bit counts).

I live in Big Sky, MT. One of the best parts of Lone Peak, is the A-Z Chutes. There are 2 dozen chutes/couloirs. Amazing terrain! BUT they require hiking. The hike is NASTY!! Probably the single sketchiest hiking i have ever done. Bootpack only, on a ridge that knifes out. At some points it's only one boot wide! You have 60 degree scree on your left (nothing to hang on to and 60degree down to the right (Moonlight Basin Resort). Your foot wants to slip constantly and if you fell (people have) you would tumble 1500ft at least, down the Headwaters of Moonlight. First time up, I didn't even have a backpack! I borrowed one pole from a skier i was with. I bought Yaktrax for my boots and BD Distance Z-poles.

My standard trekking poles (Leki Malalus)are awesome, but were just too protruding out of my day pack to ride around the resort with (22" compacted). Also, pretty dangerous if you wipe out anywhere on the mountain.

I got the BD Distance 120cm (be sure to pick your correct height, or get the proper range with the FlickLock version). Need less to say, my hikes were a lot more confident now that I have these poles.

These are also great for backpacking for one reason, again compact SIZE! Have you ever tried to slip a rain cover over a pack with 2foot poles attached to side of your pack?

Comes with a cool carrying case, rubber and carbide tips. Nice extra feature for the money.
- laggy311, 04/21/2011

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:53 pm 

I just bought a pair of leki (micro stick) - they're similar to the compactor but size is not adjustable - I bought the 130cm version, replaced the baskets with powder ones and they're ready to go... I'll keep you informed on how well they perform (the only problem right now is the lack of snow in here...).

About the size: They're really tiny! - they even fit INSIDE my ABS bag (the small freeride/powder line model with the smallest volume (2-8L))

Anyway, I'm keeping my BD expedition in case anything breaks down :)