Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The "Pinch and Roll" Speeds Transition Times :)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 pm 

The "Pinch and Roll" Method

Tired of trying to separate what seem to be inseparable skins during transitions in the backcountry. Especially when yo-yoing your favorite low angled glade during those high avalanche danger days. Being a split-boarder I'm always looking for ways to improve my transition times. Since valuable time is consumed when trying to peel apart the damn skins, why not try to eliminate this step? Thus the "pinch and roll".

CLICK BELOW FOR MORE AND PICS

http://legaladdictions.blogspot.com/2011/01/pinch-and-roll-method.html

Post subject: Re: The "Pinch and Roll" Speeds Transition Times :)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:00 am 

I thought this was going to be a thread on how to take a dump in the backcountry! :lol: Looks like a pretty good method between laps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:14 am 

+1
I thought the same thing Rughty did :D
I got the same tip from someone @ BD a few seasons back...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:33 am 

I don't know, you say the mohair (not mole hair) doesn't stick to the glue but as far as I know it does. Maybe not in any appreciable amount at first but over time it will end up ruining your glue. If it is pretty cold out this might work but on warmer days you definitely run the risk of the glue and hair getting stuck together. Also, if you are using skin wax in the spring, that'll get in your glue too.

This all wouldn't be as much of a problem though if these skins came with tail clips. My old tele skins didn't stick for shit but the tail clips held it all together. It was pretty nice how easy they were to tear apart though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:29 am 

I find that works good for a couple transitions then it's best to go back to folding. By then your skins are easier to pull apart and it's good to ruff up the glue a little bit between transitions, helps with the stick. Also super cold days riding the cold smoke I would stick to folding. Glues a love/hate relationship. Tails clips with no skin glue would suck, your skins would still slide left to right. Never quite understood the tail clip fascination, yes I guess it would get you by on the last exit but it would still suck and a couple voile straps would do the same job. From I what I understand BD's always changing their glue around which is why some years skins are easy to work in and some years their not. I got some new ones this year and there still being a bitch to pull apart and I'm 20 plus days on em. I miss the tape down the center personally.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:16 am 

UTAH wrote:
I miss the tape down the center personally.

totally agree! I am going to the fabric store this week to get some material to do this to my skins. :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:17 am 

UTAH wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:32 am 

Don't use electrical tape, it'll never come off. The nice thing about the nylon strip down the center is that when your skins are starting to not stick very well anymore you can rip it off and have a little strip of new glue down the center.

BTW I just got new Voile skins and they came with two strips of nylon for you to put on yourself! Pretty sweet.

Utah, my point was that tail clips and shitty glue is better than shitty glue and no tail clips.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:07 pm 

80+ days of 'actually' doing this with none of the problems predicted here. Perhaps skin wax could be a factor, but I infrequently use it, so it's not my place to comment...
It is worth noting that I don't leave my skins rolled up at home, or in my pack, or in my vehicle when I am not touring... :twocents:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:30 pm 

I have a set of skins i re-glued and rock them with out the middle strip with out issue.

never stick your skins together when they are warm (inside you house) and you will have far less problems with them.

re glue your skins regularly and you will also save your self a world of headaches.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:41 pm 

UTAH wrote:

like shredgnar posted, the new tractors have the tape. they also come with the cheat sheets, which if you don't have already, could be the best $18 you'll ever spend.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:46 pm 

I have the new tractors, as i replaced my old ones. And mine didn't come with a nylon strip....i wonder if BD would send me some stripping. WHat about bylon medical tape? Can anyone tell me if the nylon stripping that comes with the new tractors....is it sticky on one side?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:06 am 

Snurfer wrote:
80+ days of 'actually' doing this with none of the problems predicted here. Perhaps skin wax could be a factor, but I infrequently use it, so it's not my place to comment...
It is worth noting that I don't leave my skins rolled up at home, or in my pack, or in my vehicle when I am not touring... :twocents:

Good to hear from actual long term experience. Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway. My old purple tractors got so much junk stuck to them over time they barely held on to the board, now I'm trying to be more cautious about keeping the glue sticky.

cmcquade wrote:
I have the new tractors, as i replaced my old ones. And mine didn't come with a nylon strip....i wonder if BD would send me some stripping. WHat about bylon medical tape? Can anyone tell me if the nylon stripping that comes with the new tractors....is it sticky on one side?

It's not sticky on one side, it's basically just some nylon strips of fabric. You could probably find some at a fabric store for under a dollar.