Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2011 DayPack Options
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:02 am 

I'm also looking for a new daypack, was lurking at the Kode 30 but I'm not sure I can fit my probe and shovel nicely (without having all the fabric super tightened and having a hard time to closed the zippers...). I really like the fillet to secure the helmet and overall it seems pretty well thought.

Probe is the G3 Speed Pro 240 (40cm long when folded) and the shovel is the G3 Avitech (so it's quite large)... I currently have the Dakine Pro II and although it seems bombproof I find it quite heavy not that practical. I can put my shovel handle outside the bag but the probe is very tight fit with the shovel blade in the same pocket... I'm always afraid I'll blow the zipper when closing it !

Another pack that picked my interest is the Gregory Targhee...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:17 am 

ben_mtl wrote:
I'm also looking for a new daypack, was lurking at the Kode 30 but I'm not sure I can fit my probe and shovel nicely (without having all the fabric super tightened and having a hard time to closed the zippers...). I really like the fillet to secure the helmet and overall it seems pretty well thought.

Probe is the G3 Speed Pro 240 (40cm long when folded) and the shovel is the G3 Avitech (so it's quite large)... I currently have the Dakine Pro II and although it seems bombproof I find it quite heavy not that practical. I can put my shovel handle outside the bag but the probe is very tight fit with the shovel blade in the same pocket... I'm always afraid I'll blow the zipper when closing it !

Another pack that picked my interest is the Gregory Targhee...
The probe should fit the Kode w/o any problem, but shovel blade fit seems to be a reoccurring problem in every pack I have used. I was using a Voile XLM w/ the Kode 30.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:29 am 

Yeah I don't understand why pack builders don't make the blade storage on the outside bottom of the pack, I used to secure the blade outside the bag on my old Osprey Switch 16 (RIP) and even it it was not the dedicated place for that I found it very convenient.. it kinda follows the shape of the bag and even protects it.
I understand it can be a problem if the blade gets loose and falls but It wouldn't be rocket science to create a safe "oustide blade holding system".
Might have to tweak with the sewing machine :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:11 pm 

If you want to get real spendy check out Mystery Ranch packs. Run by Dana Gleason of Dana Designs fame out of Big Sky, MT. http://www.mysteryranch.com/site/index.html

I own the 50 L Big Sky pack (http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.3167/.f?sc=11&category=6) and use it for everything from day trips splitting and hiking, summer backpacking to weekend winter camping with my split. It's a little small for weekends sometimes and a bit big for day missions but I just love the pack so much.

They are expensive but I can honestly say the quality is amazing and it's made in the USA. The suspension and frame are very well executed and carry loads incredibly well.

Honestly the best pack I have ever owned and I have sprayed about it in other sb.com pack threads! :)

In action in the Eastern Sierra loaded up with split, still carried amazingly well!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:10 pm 

Deuter freeride pro 30 here.

Solid pack, great hip belt/articulation, GOOD BACK VENTING (most winter packs have just that solid foam back, no channel for heat) and pockets for all day necessities.

Price is right inline with similar size/function packs too. Defintely not the most spendy - but a great bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:30 pm 

+10 for Outlaw. Most comfortable board carry pack I've ever used.

breadbox wrote:
Black Diamond Outlaw. Has every feature you need:
diagonal carry
A-frame carry
board carrry
hydration sleeve and tube protector
snack pockets on hip belt
axe/pole carry
goggle pocket
dedicated avy gear pocket
back panel access
solid suspension system

AND it weighs less than all the others previously cited.
I'm not sure you're getting 2 days out of any of these packs.