Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Denver area split assist
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:40 pm 

Who in the Denver area has split some boards? Looking for someone with a setup who has done a few boards and would be willing to help me with my first. Beer, food and maybe some cash would be included.

Thanks,
Ken

Post subject: Re: Denver area split assist
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:45 pm 

Hey Ken,

Not sure if you saw my ad on CL (currently not up), but I split boards for folks in the Denver area. Charge $120 for labor and misc materials (extra t-nuts, epoxy, factory screws for board clips etc). That's a killer deal when you consider that it takes me over 12 hours per board. If this is too much for you, I think we might be able to work something out. It does take several steps so not sure how you want to handle that and I live in the Conifer area (bit of a drive for Denver folks).

In general, here is how I do it: Cut board and seal edges...wait 3 days for cure...sand down edges, match up halfs and t-nut in hardware...tired, wait a day...epoxy in ptex disks...wait a day for cure...file down ptex disks to match. Usually, I do the work during the week when I get home from work. I hate doing this on the weekends because that's my time to go play. If this was the summer, I'd say come on up and we'd have a great time hanging out in the garage on a weekend and we could do this project together. I guess you could say that part of the $120 also goes to paying me to get it done in two weeks, done right and with the right tools (Table saw with jig, Drill press etc).

If all goes well (no redos on epoxy edges, stuff like that) then it usually takes me three days of work. I've finished 4 boards and have 4 more in work. They have/are all turning out great. I've been riding my board every weekend since 1st week of Nov and it's holding up great. Set up lots of different methods/bands (Voile, Spark R&D, Karakorum). I've only been doing this since the summer, but I'd like to think that I've come a long way in a short time. Spent lot of time researching and testing out various methods/techniques for building these things.

Best Luck!

-John