Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First DIY...Threaded Inserts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:31 pm 

So after getting into some backcountry last year on snowshoes, I pulled the trigger on the Voile kit. I'm going to be splitting an 07 Option Freeplus 159. I put that board threw hell and retired it when I got my Never Summer Premier F1-R last year. Surprisingly, the Option is still in great shape and it's going to make a great split. I feel more than comfortable with the work involved, but I do have a question.

I'm planning on using the supplied t-nuts for the pucks, but after reading http://www397.pair.com/bcrider2/talk/vi ... &sk=t&sd=a I'm wondering if threaded inserts will work for the risers and touring brackets? Looks like a viable way to limit holes in the base.

Here's another source http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... p?t=195660 that builds my confidence in using these inserts.

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: First DIY...Threaded Inserts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:30 pm 

Some will tell you to forget it and T-nut everything off the bat. IMO, try it and see what happens. If they hold up, great! If they pull out, you're really not all that worse off, are you?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:17 pm 

Destructive testing is in order. Maybe use them for the tour brackets and heel lifters but not for the pucks. Will you set them in epoxy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:12 am 

powslash wrote:
Destructive testing is in order. Maybe use them for the tour brackets and heel lifters but not for the pucks. Will you set them in epoxy?

Yea I'll definitely set them in epoxy and plan on using them only for the touring brackets and heel risers for now. A lot of people using these on their skis have had great results, but skis don't put as much stress on the inserts as boards.

In other news, while I'm very comfortable taking a saw to my board, I've been emailing some places for quotes to waterjet my board. Figured if it's cheap enough it would be worth it to have a perfect cut with a tiny kerf. First quote I got was 70 bucks...respectable. Second quote I got was $600!!! I thought they were kidding. I feel bad for anybody that utilizes their service.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:34 am 

I would watch out for any empty space, void or air bubble inside the board. This could be bad for durability as it would create a weak spot and could be susceptible to water or base tear-outs (at the inserts).

Also, my first DIY did not turn out as i hoped. I made some mistakes so try your ideas on a test board before you cut your Option. It sucks to kill a board you like.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:09 pm 

yeah i have a couple old beat up rock boards that i'm going to practice on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:36 pm 

ghost_rider_x

Im thinking of getting 2000 made up for anyone who wants them.
Check out here
They will be M6 or M5 in stainless steel.
Only going ahead if I get enough interest.
You could do your whole board with them, 30 inserts?

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:24 pm 

why are you getting them made up? they're readily available from a number of different sources in stainless and brass. brass is cheap cheap and stainless looks like is going to cost me about $1.25 a piece. I'm going to try brass at first because it's so cheap, I just have to make sure I use brass screws as well. if it works out well, i might try stainless in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:43 am 

No brass! It's too soft, will strip threads and pull out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:44 am 

powslash wrote:
No brass! It's too soft, will strip threads and pull out.

All the testing in the above threads were done using brass inserts and the inserts pulled out before the threads gave out.

Stainless is one of the softest steels and I believe stainless bolts only rate as a grade 2 (the lowest grade) so it's not significantly stronger than brass. Also brass is more likely to bend and keep the pucks in the board, whereas stainless will just snap. Furthermore, if the brass inserts don't work out, they will be significantly easier to drill out than stainless.

Yes...I have thought about this. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:01 pm 

those will hold with less strength than a ski screw in a pre threaded epoxied hole, don't waste your time on this one. :nononno: wider threads on a ski screw hold better and can work long term if the board has at least a poplar core, but you have to drill your start hole a little narrower than the core of the screw and file down the tip of a longer screw so you get more full threads into the wood. A touring bracket needs another two holes for two more screws especially if you are going to ski it much. And you need the older pucks with 4 holes.

You would do better to make your own pucks and grab the factory inserts for your pucks, then add a couple of ski screws on the other side of the puck. see
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8640

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:25 pm 

Thought I would re-introduce this thread. Has anyone tried these yet in a board? I've got them set up in my Tele skis and haven't had any problems and telemark binding see lots of stress. Check out www.quiverkillers.com... I'm thinking about using them for the pucks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am 

Most skis are thicker and made of harder woods than a snowboard, so I believe that this is something that really can't be compared between the ski and snowboard markets. Glad to see people are out there trying it out though and testing for themselves. I would also like to see the percentage of test success vs. failures.