Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: spinning inserts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 pm 

I was changing the touring bracket. one screw just spins and I cant get the screw out. any ideas?

Post subject: Re: spinning inserts
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:33 pm 

DIY or a factory split?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 pm 

try using a cordless drill on the high speed setting. If it doesn't come out quick then stop. Next step would be to use a c-clamp to squeeze the board right next to the insert. Put just enough force on the clamp to provide a little friction where the flange of the insert is to keep it from spinning. Tighten it too much and you'll have created a weak spot for potential break so be careful. Refrain from using any chemical lubricant as this also has the possibility of further damaging the core. You may have to cut the insert out through the base and treat it as a DIY insert with epoxy and p-tex fill. Good luck dafu!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:54 pm 

If it's a DIY, dremel/cut a slot into through the ptex/epoxy into the metal base of the insert and use a slot screwdriver to keep it from spinning while you back the screw out. Then replace the insert with some of the G/flex 650. I'm actually hoping I get a few more spinning snolis, that stuff has some serious grip.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:06 am 

maniacdave wrote:
If it's a DIY, dremel/cut a slot into through the ptex/epoxy into the metal base of the insert and use a slot screwdriver to keep it from spinning while you back the screw out.

Awesome idea! That should work on a manufactured split too...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:28 am 

I suppose so, and then just treat it as a base repair.... if one is feeling inclined to cut into their $$$ factory split.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:56 am 

Woah there, slow down. Get two 1/16" drill bits. drill a hole with one from the deck, right next to the insert so it pierces the flange, not the threaded part. Mark the depth on the bit with some tape and go real light so maybe you will not go all the way through, no big deal if you do with a 1/16 hole. Then take the other bit, saw off the smooth end so it is a little shorter than the board thickness, insert a little epoxy and tap this pin that you made from the drill bit in to anchor the insert from spinning. Or you could just go from the bottom, a little ptex in a 1/16 hole holds really well. I have had this repair work long-time in a hard ridden carve board with hard boots.

You can also just use a snipped off section of a finish nail in the hole, just make sure the nail is not flush to the base and that it is well sealed so you will not start to get rust in there. This is really minor with a touring bracket insert, not a lot of load. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:39 pm 

thanks scooby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:44 am 

its a prior AMF like the idea of the drilling but sounds like it could have high potential for mistakes. cclamps first