Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drill Bit Size for Drilling out Burton Inserts
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:08 am 

I'm in the process of splitting a Burton Canyon and have decided to drill out the inserts before ripping the board. What size drill bit should I use to drill out to the inserts?

I have read elsewhere on the forum to start with a 1/4" drill bit and work up from there, slowly removing a little bit of the the insert with each successive increase in bit size. Was unable to find out ultimately what size will remove a majority of the insert while keeping the drilled hole size at minimum.

I plan on ripping the board using a circular saw with brand new carbide blade and filling in the aftermath with epoxy.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Drill Bit Size for Drilling out Burton Inserts
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:06 pm 

I just did a Burton and while you can drill out some of the insert because of the way the insert is shaped like a; T you really don't take out much material by drilling out the inserts.

I can't remember the size of the bit I used but decided to just drill out the threads I could on top of the board and opted to not drill through the base at all. I then filled the middle holes with west systems epoxy and let it dry for a few days. I used a circular saw as well and it smoked and sparked, but made the cut. After making the cut I was surprised to see how big the inserts actually were and was glad i choose to use the epoxy before cutting.

Good luck... use a table saw if you can, my cut was not as clean as I wanted....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:15 pm 

I'm splitting an old Burton, with eight inserts smack down the middle. The first one, I drilled out - I started with a small bit, just touching the threads, went bigger and bigger, until it was part drilling the remaining metal, and part touching into wood.

I didn't really like the way it had gone, so I switched gears, fired up the SkilSaw (circular, not table saw). I had a brand new carbon-tip (or carbon-tooth? the same?) blade, started past the tip (which has a good amount of metal), went at it.

The blade was much better. I went nice and slow, very careful. It spat sparks like crazy at each insert, which was gnarly, but nothing caught fire. Nothing bound up, nothing got thrown across the room. Use eye protection! A billion jagged little molecules of metal shot up and out.

I was going to hack-saw the tips, but whoa my board has a full inch of metal up there, and the hacksaw wasn't doing beans, and even if it had, its blade is one fourth the width of the SkilSaw blade - what, I was going to file away all that extra? The SkilSaw had done the trick on the inserts, so I put it back in the slot, cut the tips. That also went fine. Sparks and excitement, no disasters, a great clean cut.

With the board cut and open, I was able - with a bit of effort - to pop out what was left of the inserts on each side. I pounded and poked and levered, with hammers, screwdrivers, ice picks, what have you. Then I used the Spar Urethane to fill the insert holes like tiny La Brea tarpits.

I agree with others that one saw cut is preferable. When you slot the blade back in to pick up where you left off, it'll inevitably be a tad wider right there, and you'll have a gap. But that said, I didn't start on the tip. I went from the inside out. My feeling is that with everything clamped solid, a good hold on the saw, slow and steady, it'd go okay.

I plan to write up the whole job, but I'm not quite done. Wish me luck!

KirkG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:26 am 

Little tip here... Use a demolition saw blade. I used a Milwaukee Diablo Demo blade on my wifes Air and it cut thru the inserts and edges like they were wood, no hesitation what so ever. Demo blades are made to rip thru nails and spikes in wood framing, so a metal insert in a wood core is no problem at all.