Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Legalities and the Business of Splitting Boards
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:32 pm 

Simple Question: If you charge someone to split their board... are you then liable if they injure themselves in an equipment failure? I'm sure there's insurance to combat this... but is it ridiculously priced?

I have been approached by multiple people who want to hire me to split a board for them. I wouldn't mind making a few bucks, after all this is the recession... But it just wouldn't be worth it if someones binding rips out of their board, and they end up with multiple injuries and hefty medical bills.

Sorry that I even have to ask this question... but unfortunatley this is where society is at these days. I'm not suggesting everyone is sue-happy, but when it comes to paying hefty medical bills people make practical decisions.

I would love to hear from some of the people who are doing/have done this already.. like Monk

Thanks, Tom

Post subject: Re: Legalities and the Business of Splitting Boards
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:46 pm 

How about a signed waiver? The dentist makes a person sign one before they'll do a root canal... Its basically a promise not to sue in the event something goes wrong...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:51 am 

I think a waiver would be fine. You sign one at a resort when you buy a ticket, waiving the mountain. Theres a notice on climbing gear that you can die, its dangerous and they are not liable, same with any helmet, board, bike or even a football. As long as there is a notice attached to the product, stating the nature of the activity, and the proper use of the equipment, than you should be fine. Everyone knows you can get smoked getting gnarly, Ive had inserts tear out of Libtechs while mocking, causing me to desperatly eat shit to save my life and sueing was the last thing on my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:58 am 

I bet Voile even has a warning on the split kit.

http://www.thegreatbenandhannah.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:00 pm 

Talk to your insurance agent, you should be able to add an umbrella policy to your home owners if you're really that concerned about this.
I used to build engines and transmissions and still work on cars at home sometimes, that was what my agent recommended doing. Different type of service, but same idea.

http://www.chair2boardsports.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:34 pm 

If you have anything to lose, consult an attorney.

If your work fails and the rider injures themselves, it is unlikely a waiver will help. At the very least, it will not keep you from getting sued and having to spend money defending yourself.

For insurance, you will likely need to find an agent that writes policies for small manufacturers or sporting goods manufacturers.

Or, probably like many small players in the industry, just say "f' it, I will be fine" and make some splitboards.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:58 am 

A waiver attached to a "Recommended list"... ie- Rider should check nuts and bolts before every trip to tightness, etc... Inspect gear, tighten as needed, what to do if rust appears, how to prevent core from rotting....

Curious what does one charge for such a service?