Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good stiff womans board for splitting
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:02 pm 

Any recommendations for a board to split? I have a new venture zephyr on the way so I am going to salvage the hardware from the old voile to make the GF a split. Seems that there isnt much specifically for womans powder boards other than the high end ones, and I have serious qualms about cutting a 550$ board, not to mention they are EST so that is to many holes to drill. Thanks
Ben

Post subject: Re: Good stiff womans board for splitting
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 am 

We just cut m gf's GNU Barret Christy from a few years ago (camber with the old school gnu wavy graphic). She rode it a few times as a solid and liked how it rode in the deep so we cut it. its a 156 and she normally rides a 154 Arbor Push from last year.

She tested out the Never Summer Lotus for this year and LOVED it, so if you have the funds I would highly recommend checking those out. The rocker/camber on those is a pretty nice all mountain/pow setup and they are fairly stiff boards.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:01 pm 

Thanks I will check them out for sure. I am gonna try to pick up something used, just to make sure she actually follows through and uses it before dropping some $$$ on a new board. Any issues with lack of real edge after the cut?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:45 pm 

im kinda with ventures attitude about womens specific boards (there is no such thing).
its about your weight/height, terrain, style, etc.

not whats between your legs......

so i would guess that there are tons of boards out there that would do the trick. although she might now like the graphics.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:58 pm 

I would definitely go with a womens specific board. Women have a different centre of gravity, so especially if shes a smaller girl, a womens board, with a narrower waist and womens-specific flex patter will actually make a huge difference.

I am riding the Roxy Envi and Gun B Pro from last year right now, and have a new Envi from this year on the way. The Envi is a grade stiffer than the B Pro, with a 1in setback stance, as oppose to centered on the gnu, and I like it quite a bit more. Note, the Envi is full reverse camber, while the B pro has a C2 (rocker and camber) so that comes down to personal preference.

But im considering splitting the new Envi thats coming in. Still not a cheep board, but it preforms, and is made by Mervin so very reputable.

(the b pro is the the current version of the board that was mentioned as the barret cristie)

The Envi preforms in ALL conditions. Ive ridden it down steep, technical chutes with pow, and its saved my ass when ice has showed up unexpectedly.

You won't find a decent, stiff, powder board for a women that does cost a few bucks. The Lotus and Envi from this year have very similar characteristics, and will ride very similarly, but i love the magnetraction. You may be able to find last years models online for a good price!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:45 am 

Yeah that (Above) is exactly why my gf rides womens boards, there are differences between the two, and it's the little things that count.

She dropped the coin on last years Arbor Push, and since we couldn't find a deal, it was retail. However, that was her first ever brand new really nice board and the difference was noticeable her first ride. She loves it and can't stop raving about it. But for a split, we really didn't see spending so much without having a good one under our belts first, so we found the Gnu B-pro from a few years ago for $75 on craigslist.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:49 am 

Buy this board and you will not be disappointed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360320670331&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

:bow:

B-Lines are great boards and probably the most durable board I have even seen. I bought a B-Line from these people a couple years ago.

BTW: I just split one of these for myself this summer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:00 pm 

Thanks for all the good feedback. Just out of curiosity any woman out there ride priors womans specific split? I will have her check the the envi for sure, I know she has been riding a Roxy the past few seasons, forget which off the top of my head, way to soft and short for cutting though. She is now ready to shell out some more money after dealing with snowshoes in powder... So who knows, maybe she will pony up the 1100 for the prior board.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:10 pm 

I stopped by the prior factory the other day. The Brandywine (their female specific split) looks nice, and feels pretty stiff. I have a lot of reservations about their rocker/camber profile though. Not really having any actual reverse camber. They told me they should have a demo set of solid boards out some time mid december, so im going to wait and give the solid brandywine a shot, before either spiltting an envi, or getting the prior. If you're girlfriends around vancouver/whistler, that would probably be the best option...to try the brandywine and see how it goes!

They are pretty friendly at prior...worth dropping by the shop in Function Junction forsure if its an option.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:22 pm 

my wife is still selling her board and willing to deal to sell it
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7465

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:30 pm 

Well thanks for all the input everyone! I was about ready to just buy a Roxy Envi but after considering price of board plus kit it just wasnt worth it. I found a 2009 voile for 550.00 so I just decided to get that for her xmas present.