Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is my board to short?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:01 pm 

Howdy all. I'm looking into building my first splitboard, and I was thinking about using my old Burton Malolo 154. I realize thats super short for a splitboard, but I know it rips in the powder (it has about 2cm of taper on the tail.) I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what kind of effect having such a short board would have while skinning up on the ascent? I am crazy to want to make a splitboard out of something this short, even with the taper? I'm 5" 6' and about 170 pounds.

Post subject: Re: Is my board to short?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:59 pm 

Personally I like long boards, but use what you like. But consider you'll typically carry about 15-25 lbs of extra gear and splitkit in the backcountry.
Oh... and you'll have to saw through the center inserts on a Burton board, which can result in carnage to board and rider if the saw kicks back on you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:58 am 

Should be fine if you ride it in pow as solid, and spring corn dosnt need a big board.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:33 am 

Ride whatever you like. You can always chuck your pack down the hill prior to your drop in , so weight shouldn't be an issue. If you want to split a Burton, boar out the middle insert with a drill prior to cutting it. That way the blade won't kick on you. It shouldn't anyway, but that way you'll be safe and stoked with your board. :headbang:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:54 pm 

I'm 5'8" 143lb dry, and have no problems skinning up on a 156 Skate Banana. If you are happy with your board in the steep and deep then cut her up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:25 pm 

not sure where you are at with this but i had a malolo and i honestly think that the 154 will be too short. i had the 157 malolo and it was such a great pow board but i think that once you load on all the extra split hardware and backpack weight you are going to be sitting at around 170 + 30 = 200 lbs. even with the taper on the nose, the wider nose, narrower tail, anything deeper than 8-10" and you are really going to have to work the board. right now i'm running a 158 resort board and 158 prior bc split and i wish that i had that extra 1" on my split and i'm 5'-9" and 160 lbs. it is fine on a lot of days but becomes work when in the really deep stuff....and in my personal opinion, the whole point of a split is to get fresh tracks in the deep....i think that you might find touring a bit easier with the longer board as well especially when in fresh....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 pm 

Yes.