so today I just finished putting together my early season rock split with Voiles DIY kit and laced it up to some Spark Blazes. Had to take it out for a spin....This is a review of both the DIY kit and the process, and the Spark bindings.
The DIY kit was pretty easy to install, the directions were straight forward, If you are not comfortable using tools do not attempt this project because you cannot screw up. I sawed my board in half using a hack saw for the metal edges and then used a jig saw for the rest, would not suggest this unless you have a steady hand. I thought the most difficult part of the process was counter sinking the holes in the base for the t-nuts(using a regular drill). I first drilled a hole through a 2x4 and clamped that to the board to use as a guide for the t-nut holes, (if you dont have a jig or drill press the bit tends to wander) dont drill too fast or you will put a hole through your board!! everything else was a breeze. I opted to put some epoxy in the holes before I set the t-nuts in, then after everything was bolted up I covered the t-nuts with more marine epoxy and sealed it with the ptex discs voile supplied. I would strongly recommend to leave a coat of wax on your board to protect the base from abrasions and epoxy. I did all the heavy sanding of the t-nut/ptex/epoxy holes with the wax still on the board, kinda a pain cause the wax gunks up on the sand paper, then removed the wax and did a light sand.
For the edges of my board I sprayed them with about 4 coats of spar urethane, then a couple of coats of spray paint, then more urethane, then a different color spray paint, then more urethane...Mt thought is as the different colors show through due to wear, It will give me a good indication of when I need to reapply coats. Also make sure to mask of your board when painting the edges.
160 Arbor Element w/ DIY Voile split kit and Spark Blazes
Base and ptex tabs held in with marine epoxy
I was very happy with how this setup performed, I think mostly because of the new Spark bindings which made such a huge difference with how it climbed in touring mode and descending. The interface between the bindings and board are so solid which makes for great edging, and my board setup going down was much more responsive. Got to the bottom and all the epoxy and discs were still in place, Stoked!!
Looks great! I'm about to do the DIY kit with an old board I have... Was wondering about epoxying the p-teck disks in and it looks like it worked out for you... I'm new to splitboarding and I think the DIY kit is a nice way to get started without spending a ton of money