My first splitboard was bought second hand off the classifieds. I decided I'd get something cheap to make sure I like the sport before I fully committed myself. I knew I loved hiking and backpacking but I never did much snowshoeing or anything outside the resort boundaries really till last year.
Lucky for me I was able to find a keel nosed swallowtail and it was love at first hike. However, after multiple tours I began to realize that the guy I bought it from did a super half-assed job of making it into a DIY. So this fall I decided it needed a facelift (to cover up all those extra drill holes the guy put into it) and at the same time I thought I'd add the ability to change stances.
This is what I started with. (The one on the left)
I started by filling all the holes from the previous stances, touring bracket, chinese hooks and tip clips. The previous owner didn't care to much about the two halves being tight (Or maybe he just didn't know much about working with tools). I wanted the hooks to be as tight as possible. I also wanted the tip clip to be super tight since I had a miserable time last year trying to keep it latched for longer than 20 yards of descent.
Then it was time to paint. Prime, sand, prime, sand
I chose blue and white. I thought it would look pretty slick. After my wife saw it she suggested I paint it like the Colorado flag but since I'm a Utah transplant I thought against it.
Then came the DIY re-installation with universal pucks. I had trouble finding t-nuts since Home Depot discontinued them and everyone else's were too long. Mcmaster.com solved that issue. I decided to go with metric since that is what the industry commonly uses. Then I epoxied them with g/flex, sanded, and put a nice coat of wax on her.
It was a fun little project. However, I don't know how long it'll look pretty for. I took it for my first tour of the season today and some of the spar coating has already chipped off due to contact with the edges while skinning.