Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 hole pattern split???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:57 am 

Hello;

New to this site and splitboarding I already see it's going to be a great resource. So I've been reading over the DYI splits and want to split a 162 Burton with the 3 hole pattern I have laying around.

I attempted a search and I know I read on here somewhere that some guys were splitting them centered and others were attempting to work around the 3 hole patterns using an off center split. So with my situation what would your recommend? A center split through the hole pattern or one that is offset just enough to miss the holes??

Thanks for your time/input Mouse

Post subject: Re: 3 hole pattern split???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:10 pm 

People have done this more than one way and this is the way I do it. I first drill out the center holes with a 1/4 drill bit straight through the board. I measure and cut the board with the base up. I use a band saw with a blade that cuts through metal. Sand the inside edge and apply epoxy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:07 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
People have done this more than one way and this is the way I do it. I first drill out the center holes with a 1/4 drill bit straight through the board. I measure and cut the board with the base up. I use a band saw with a blade that cuts through metal. Sand the inside edge and apply epoxy.

Ok would not have thought of that, drilling out the holes I guess would get rid of the inserts and make for a cleaner cut, makes sense.... Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:25 pm 

Yeah man :thumpsup: The hardest part of the whole kit is cutting the board. (Ive also used a jigsaw and a skillsaw to cut sticks) Just go slow with the cut, let the machine do the work (the cut may go a little slow by the inserts) Drink a beer and smoke one to calm the nerves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:14 pm 

I just cut straight through the insert on my old Burton Johan. Go slow when you get to the inserts. And make sure you have a carbide tipped blade, it'll cut easier. You are likely to see smoke and sparks but just keep cutting. You'll get a cleaner cut if you can get through the whole board without stopping.

But it's always a risk. I read the some people snag their inserts and they ripped out of the board and flew across the room. I'm guessing it was either an old blade or didn't have carbide tips.

Wear safety glasses. You don't want red hot metal shaving in your eyeballs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:34 am 

I split a Custom 48 for my girlfriend last year and getting through the inserts wasn't too bad. I used a carbide tip blade on a skill saw (make sure you clamp a straight edge to the board for a guide) and it smoked and sparked the whole way through the inserts. The biggest problem I had was that the saw didn't remove as much material near the inserts as the rest of the cut. This left a 2-3mm gap in most of the split. I was able to sand away most of the gap, but some of it is still there in the tip and tail. She says board still rides great!

Twitter: http://twitter.com/checkyourpins
Instagram: http://instagram.com/checkyourpins
Facebook: http://facebook.com/checkyourpins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:00 am 

Thanks for the replys everyone I'm a week or so out from doing the split, but I'll let you know how it turns out. Hopefully my inserts don't go flying across the room that sounds a little tramatic....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:55 pm 

Hey everyone, first time poster here.

Just finished a diy kit on a Burton Canyon 167. Its my extra board from a few years back. I ride a 167 skunk ape banana magne traction on the lifts. So when I grabbed that canyon and threw it on my saw horses I lost my self :scratch: when I saw that damned diamond hole pattern.

So I cut up through the middle and really ripped up around those bolts. But I use some marine epoxy puddy and sanded it all to a nice smooth connection.

In the end im a happy owner of a house made split board. I know my mistakes and accomplisments and look forward yo doing it on my fiancees dynastar.

I've read alot but if you have any takes on bananatraction splits id love to hear em.

SKI THE EAST