Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitting a Never Summer Premier 163
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 pm 

My first split. Its an older board that I never really rode because it just was too stiff for me on the slopes so I always rode my NS twin tip (old school). My current board is a NS SL-R 157 and it is just a dream to ride. But what to do with this old board??? I need a split, I've got an extra board... no brainer right? I actually think this will be the perfect BC board for me.
So this thread will be a work in progress. Lets start with a couple pics of it before and after the table saw.

Before Running it Through the Saw

After the Saw

The cut was as smooth as butter and as straight as a laser. I've got two coats of West Marine High Modulus epoxy (g/flex) curing. More pics to follow as work progresses.

Post subject: Re: Splitting a Never Summer Premier 163
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:27 pm 

:thumbsup: Aside from the TRs, these are my favourite threads on the board. Can't wait to see the finished product!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:59 am 

First of all, the split looks perfect. I am jealous.

Does somebody know where I could get the West Marine High Modulus epoxy (g/flex) in Europe?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm 

I have made some progress on this project. As it stands, I have the nose/tail hooks, china hooks, and slider pucks installed. I hate the puck design that came with Voile's kit so I figured I would try something different. I originally had purchased some raw stock 30% glass reinforced nylon as opposed to using UHMW or Acetal. I had some difficulty finding anything with metric thicknesses so I opted to go with some .75 stock that I found for a decent price. When I started to surface mill the stuff, it curled on me. I'm guessing that it had some internal stresses that were relieved when I surfaced it. Rather than flipping it over to try to get it flat, I opted to buy the pucks already machined. My clamp was too small anyways to do much good with warped plastic.
With pucks in hand, I measured my stance, marked it with tape and tweaked it so each puck was centered on at least four of the stock inserts.

I marked where I wanted to install the T-nut (one at each end of puck) and used a forstner bit to remove the base material. When the wood was exposed, I drilled and installed the T-nut (prongs removed).

I then used transfer paper to copy the hole pattern to the puck. From there I drilled and countersunk the pucks.

Once I was sure everything fit up well, I transferred the board centerline to the pucks and mitered them on a bandsaw. I sealed up the t-nut (all four) with some g-flex epoxy.

Next up I intend to install the pivot brackets and the climbing bars. I think I am going to go with one t-nut and one wood screw for the climbing bar and two t-nuts and a wood screw for the pivot brackets. In the end I will have only installed 10 t-nuts in my board.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:38 pm 

Its done, things went really well. I can say that I don't think i'm going to like the drakes, with the reduced base plate area, they are pretty soft... Can't wait to get some turns on her!!!