Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painting my Mojo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:38 pm 

So I recently purchased my first splitty, a 166 Mojo off of craigslist. It had quite a few scratches, and since it is summer and all I can think of is riding pow, I decided to give it a facelift and try my hand at painting the topsheet.

Materials:
100, 320, 600 and 1000 grit sandpaper
Kyrlon Fusion spray paint
Krylon Crystal clear for clear coat
Stencil of design I want
Plenty of beer

I started off by smoothing out all the chips on the topsheet and roughing it up with 100 grit. I should have gone back with the 320 then the 600 to make the surface smoother, but you live and learn. I wiped off all dust and preped for primer/basecoat

I then painted two coats of satin finish black Krylon fusion. I let the two coats dry, then sanded with 320 grit. Wipe clean the I painted another coat of the satin black. Sanded with 600 grit, then one more coat of satin black. Sanded 600 grit again, then switched to two coats of gloss black, sanded 600 grit, then two more final coats of gloss black. Let dry.

I think this is after 320 grit on satin finish:

I had used the plotter at work to print out a full size picture of the design I wanted. I ended up using a design that was selected as a finalist for the Venture POW board desgin contest. I liked the tree, but not the colors so muc, so I modified it alittle. I then taped mailla folderes under the paper for some structure, then used a xcato knife to cut out the stencil. I attached the stencil to the board with some scotch doule sided tape.

After two coats of the red, I removed the stencil. There was some spray that got under the stencil and kinda washed out the lines, but it still looks ok. If I had put more double sided tape down it would have been perfect, since the lines near where I had taped were crisp. I then put down two coats of clear coat, let dry, then sanded with the 1000 grit. Sprayed another coat, let dry, sand with 1000, then sprayed a final clear coat.

Final product:

I know it probably wont last too long, but it looks kickass right now, and don't really care if it doesn't last too long. I can just reapply the black if it starts to look like crap.

Post subject: Re: Painting my Mojo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:20 pm 

Good idea. It looks pretty nice. Try few applications of some clear coat. That should help the finishes longevity. Venture on Voile?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:29 pm 

It isn't anything Venture related, it was a graphic submitted to the Venture POW board contest that did not win.

And I put like 4-5 layers of clear coat down, as my post stated. I know it probably won't last long, but I don't really care if it does anyways. Spray paint is cheap and easy to apply.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:12 am 

i have painted many boards.... however the one that's doing the best, is the one i used a polyurethane clear coat on,
think i remember using a foam brush. nice and thick. otherwise, spray paints... ehhhh you're right, it'll scratch off... but you can
touch it up if need be.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:28 pm 

Anyone ever tried painting the board and also printing out a graphic and adhering or sealing it in place?

I'm fixing up my DIY that I bought from someone last year. They obviously aren't as meticulous as I am about my craft so I decided it needs a facelift. Especially after the fixes I made to it. I've got to hide all those extra holes somehow. I don't want to look anymore like a gaper than I already do. :disco:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:20 pm 

I've printed on adhesive vinyl (e.g., car wraps, stickers) and used it on boards. Its just like a big sticker, although I've not done anything edge to edge.

Yoda is adhesive Vinyl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:42 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Yoda is adhesive Vinyl

Is he coated with anything to protect his metaclorians? (IE - Varnish, Polyurethane or straight up good vibes)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:23 pm 

a little off topic, but i am sick of all my sticks sitting in board bags id be curious at a closer look of that simple looking rack you have there, i have been looking for an easy idea to hang all my boards up neatly.

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:39 pm 

PhishermanPhil wrote:
Snurfer wrote:
Yoda is adhesive Vinyl

Is he coated with anything to protect his metaclorians? (IE - Varnish, Polyurethane or straight up good vibes)

You can purchase custom graphics printed and laminated on vinyl specified for vehicle use. 3M 180c vinyl with their crystal laminate blocks out moisture and should hold up just fine. The big enemy is moisture compromising the adhesive. Therefore the edge to edge graphic will likely fail due to physical abrasion from the snow.
I plan on testing a few different vinyl / adhesives this winter for full graphic overlays. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:44 pm 

PhishermanPhil wrote:
Snurfer wrote:
Yoda is adhesive Vinyl

No, but typically the adhesive Vinyl is laminated when doing vehicle wraps, I just don't have a laminater at my work. A print shop could do the whole thing for you; print, laminate and mount it.

avalancheman wrote:
a little off topic, but i am sick of all my sticks sitting in board bags id be curious at a closer look of that simple looking rack you have there, i have been looking for an easy idea to hang all my boards up neatly.

It was easy... I took a peice of 1" x 4" x (however long) MDF board and and laid it out on the floor with the boards laying on it.
I tried to space the board centers so they were 16" apart. This would allow me to later secure it to the wall and not have the screws show.
Then I "temporarily" tacked it to the wall studs.
Next, I held the boards up one at a time and made a mark on either side of the narrowest section of each boards sidecut.
Then I untacked the MDF from the wall and drilled holes at each mark. In each holed attached wood eye bolts.
Lastly I securely fasten the MDF to every available stud and carefully lifted each board into place. You start at the narrowest section and let the board settle in between the eye bolts. If you live in earthquake territory you can run a strap, or bungee through the eye bolts, or just turn them once the board it up..

There you have it, cheap easy and the boards take up very little space.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:01 pm 

awesome i think i just found my weekend project...... :bananas:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:23 pm 

I picked up some Helmsman Spray Spar Urethane to put a nice top coat on my recent paint job. I know it will do well to resist moisture penetration but do you think it with adhere to the paint? Or would you recommend something else?