Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Whippet mod
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:32 am 

This might be an obvious mod for some.

The shaft of the older two piece Whippets would accept the lower two sections of the BD Expedition poles so you could make a three piece Whippet that collapsed shorter than the two piece one.

The newer Whippet's upper shaft is a different diameter and they do not accept the lower two sections of the Expedition poles. AFAIK you are stuck with the two piece Whippet that is quite long when collapsed.

Depending on how long you need the Whippet to extend, you can cut excess tube off the top of the lower shaft and it will then collapse much smaller. I only need 115cm so I was able to cut off quite a bit and shorten the collapsed length significantly.

Pull out the black stop at the top of the lower shaft. Cut to length desired (leave some tube for support in the upper shaft). Replace black stop.

Original collapsed length and new collapsed length

Post subject: Re: New Whippet mod
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:30 pm 

the same brain :thumpsup: but wirten in german....

http://www.wildschnee.de/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=72

Burton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:56 am 

Goddamn, nice catch! I'm going to jump on this, for sure.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:00 am 

How long is the total length collapsed? How much does it weigh?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:41 pm 

You can make a 3-piece whippet with the Enduro CF trekking pole lowers - call or email BD, I think parts were like $20. It's a bit shorter collapsed - 28". I need to get around to shortening the upper pole so it'll go shorter, I think my other BD 3-pieces are like 24" collapsed.

IMG_2414 by Zak Brown, on Flickr

Various Chimera prototypes
TLT5/Dynafit/Phantom
32 ULs/Blaze LT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:10 pm 

rughty wrote:
How long is the total length collapsed? How much does it weigh?

I don't know how much it weighs. A whippet is definitely heavier than I like, but I tried not using one during spring corn season last season and I feel much better with one. I put up with the weight.

I am going to take out the extra 10cm I left in the bottom tube and it should collapse almost all the way. That would be for a 115cm max length.

That is nice to know that other model lowers will still make the three piece Whippet. For someone who needs a longer max length or wants the collapsed pole to go even shorter by shortening the upper shaft, that is great to know. Thanks Zak.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:25 pm 

i lose each pole 15 g and 12 cm lenhgt in downhill modus.

burton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:51 pm 

Just another version, you can buy the trail aluminum lowers off the BD website as well. Here are the results:

^extended

^collapsed

^small pack

^big pack

You could make them a couple inches shorter by cutting the whippet upper pole down as well. Not sure if I'll do that yet....

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/spare-parts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:43 pm 

Quote:
the same brain but wirten in german....

http://www.wildschnee.de/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=72

Burton - Hast du den link geschrieben oder gefunden?

How did the author of the Wildschnee article detach and re-attach the plastic flicklock mechanism? I want to cut mine but I'm nervous about ruining the plastic parts I have to get though to cut the metal.

-Hans

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:03 am 

Nice work Buell! I'm interested in getting a whippet this season, but usually just carry my light weight axe. Do you still carry an axe for spring climbs now, or just the whippet? And this begs the obvious question - why doesn't Black Diamond offer the Whippet as a three piece pole? Who the hell wants to carry a 4 foot pole on their back on the downhill - oh yeah, skiers....but even then most skiers I know like a three piece model....

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:38 am 

@ Hans
Yes - it s my link - but the new homepage - is difrent...

http://www.wildschnee.de/index.php/tipp ... dellcustom

Gruß Markus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:45 pm 

Three-section whippet mods are possible on all generations of Whippets (search the forum, this has come up before). Like others said, just call BD directly. They will sort you out with which 2-section lowers will fit with your generation of Whippet uppers. There are like 3 generations, and they all have different diameters. I've been using the same Whippet uppers for over 5 years, they're still going strong. The lowers have been replaced at various times... it's nice that you can just replace those parts for cheap.

Also if you're tall, you'll need a lot more than 115 cm. The two-section lowers come in different max extended lengths.

At least with the older generation whippets, and I think this is true of the current gen, you can remove some material from the bottom part of the upper tube so that they collapse more fully. How much of this is viable also depends on the length of the two-section lowers. Take the old Whippet one-piece lower and insert it into the upper as far as it will go, and mark that on the shaft. Then take your 2-section lower and do the same. Now take it out and compare the mark with the one on the 1-piece lower. The marks should indicate whether you can remove some of the upper section to allow it to collapse further.

HansGLudwig wrote:
How did the author of the Wildschnee article detach and re-attach the plastic flicklock mechanism?

Again with the older generation whippets (but I'd bet this is also true with the current gen), you can remove the flicklock mechanism by just loosening the screw and pulling it off. Then if you cut off some of the lower, you have to cut the same slot w/hole that was already there, for the flicklock to slide over and compress. Some old comments on this and other whippet-related goodness here:
viewtopic.php?p=27212#p27212

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 am 

I contacted BD about our desire for a 3-piece whippet. They told me to "keep your eye out for a 3-piece whippet in the future, I think it is coming back."
:D