Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting business splitting board
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:23 pm 

I've been really into splitboarding the last few years. I've been riding for years and it's taken me a long time to find the perfect splitboard setup. I recently split a lib tech that worked out super well. It's one of the best DIY splits I've seen. I used T-nuts on everything so it is super solid. My board is very durable and fun.
I decided to split my own board because I never liked the production splits because they are always too heavy, expensive, stiff and unresponsive. I know the board that was perfect for me so I just split it myself. I cut a few practice boards to make sure I had the technique dialed and then split my resort board. I've taken it on a few trips and I couldn't be happier with the result.
I'm writing this trend because I want to see how much interest there is from people to have there solid boards split and mounted with hardware. I'm thinking about starting a side business and need to know how much potential is out there. I know there are people in the business but most are hacks and the few good splitters are expensive and are too busy to take on more business. I was thinking that I could split, mount hardware, and seal inner edge for about $200.
Anyone out there think this is a good idea?

Post subject: Re: Starting business splitting board
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:34 pm 

Quote:
Anyone out there think this is a good idea?

Not really, you'll already have a very well established competitor in the area who has supplied boards to many from this community, both in and out of Utah.
http://www.customsplitboards.com

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:31 pm 

Skiutah
The way you need to go is to offer more than just a cut and core seal.
Anyone can do that!
The real interest comes with inlay of edging and sidewalls, but this is a fine art.
To over come the factory split price killer you will need to offer adjustable stance option too.
Sometime more economical to go with a Voile after paying for all the hardware and labour cost to get a board that rides the same with the same reliability
Good luck, be prepared to expand the split options that you can offer or DTM will have your mark.

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:28 am 

The Voile kit is stoner friendly! way too easy and fun DIY means do it yourself

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:33 pm 

I love the idea, but I think competition may be stiff (espeically in Utah). On the other hand, i hear Monk had a backlog this season, maybe there's some room?

Anyone have any opinions on the wisdom on aftermarket inserting of metal edges? Doesn;t seem anything like as strong as construction. On the other hand, I;ve never heard of one tearing out and that edge takes relatively little abuse.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:54 pm 

Where are you at with this skiutah? I notice monk isn't taking orders.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:53 pm 

I for one would be very interested. It appears that Monk at DTM is pretty much out of the board splitting business. Please let me know if you decide to move forward as I'm looking to get a board split in the very near future.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:37 pm 

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm building up a few splitboards in my garage for myself and a few friends. In doing so, I have acquired a few necessary tools: Table saw, Drill press etc. I'm new to splitboarding but not new to making stuff (Mechanical Engineer with 10+ years of practical and analytical experience).

I've posted an ad on Craig's List about splitting peoples boards and installing hardware. I'm not looking to turn this into a full time business, just trying to help pay for my hobby (keeps the wife happy), meet some cool folks and have a good time. So far (less the two days) I've gotten several more the expected inquires.

I'm currently in the process of finishing up my board and my friends, (Waiting for my Karakorum bindings!) before I really want to work on anyone else's stuff. I've been spending the summer study this website, buying gear and doing some fun engineering work in the garage. Thank you everyone who takes the time to post pictures, tips etc. I work on a computer all day at work and when I get home I unplug so I feel like a bum for not being a contributor but really appreciate all you out there that do post.

Again, I'm in the process of figuring out what services to offer and how much to charge so stay tuned. Let me know if you have suggestions. I'll post picture here and/or on CL as I get more stuff finished up. So far, I took the time to build a good jig for cutting boards in half and have cut a few test boards and the boards I'm building now. They turned out great.

As a side note, I'm working on what to do for skins. I'm getting some of the G3 twin tip fasteners from G3 to mate up with skin material from Skins Direct. I was hoping to just buy G3 skins but the geometry of each half of a splitboard doesn't work. However, I really like the way those swivel hooks work. Maybe that will turn into some contributions to the community later.

I'm in the Denver area so if any one is interested in having me split your board and possibly do more, drop me a line through the CL add please.

http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/1989972885.html

Let me know what people think as I will check this post too.

Again, big thanks to everyone out there who posts their setups. I've learned a lot from you all :bow: . Let it Snow!

-John

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:57 am 

Not sure why, but someone flagged my post. Please use this one to contact me. Thanks -John

http://denver.craigslist.org/lbs/1993551990.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:25 am 

Here is a preliminary list of services and cost:

Simple jig setup and cut down the middle: $20
Cut and seal inside edge: $40
Cut/seal/ hardware install (you provide the hardware): $120

Sorry, no metal edges. Seems like more trouble than it is worth at this time. I want to be spending more time in the BC than in my garage this winter :wink:

What say you?

Seems reasonable to me considering I'll be using a table saw with Carbide blade (~$50), Drill press with bits for counter sinking, sand paper, G-flex 650 epoxy, heater box for curing epoxy (starting to get cold at my house, I'm at 8500ft) etc.. see other comments on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9250

PhishermanPhil wrote:
When considering doing a DIY split make sure you look at the equipment and part list on Voile's website. Just because you are hacking a used board doesn't mean it'll be cheaper than a good deal on a factory split. If you don't have the tools or supplies it can add up to be more expensive than you thought.

For Example:

$$-Circular/Jig saw
$$-Power drill
$-Drill bits
$-hammer or rubber mallet
$-Varnish
$-3/8" countersink
$-3/4" Wood bore bit
$-Sandpaper
$-Painters tape
Etc,etc, etc...

I you already have most or all of these things then it'll be cheap. Otherwise not. I just split one of mine and I realized how much it really costs. But I planned on building up a tool arsenal anyway for future projects.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:55 am 

deleted post..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:17 am 

As requested, here are some picture of equipment, test boards and my board that is almost done:

Saw and Jig

Drill press

Sealing edges

edge detail

Test board cut and sealed. Also used to test out drilling techniques etc.

Raw cut close up. Nice and clean!

Another test board for fit and function

T-nut base repair with Epoxy. Planning on testing out p-tex disk from new Voile DIY kit and PL construction adhesive.

T-nut counter sink drilling operation, but don't worry, no oil spill here.

Almost finished Mullet. Just have tip/tail clips and repair base from t-nuts.

Updated pricing:

Cut on table saw with jig: $20
Cut and seal: $60 (little more work then I thought)
Cut/seal/ mount hardware: $120 (this may go up a little if I can find a shop who will do a simple base grind for me, but only by the amount they charge me. You could always op out for the base grind too.)

Send me a PM if interested. Denver area only. Don't want to deal with mail order stuff right now. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:47 pm 

Quote:
Not sure why, but someone flagged my post. Please use this one to contact me. Thanks -John

Your post probably got flagged because you totally high-jacked this thread.