I have spent a few days making this splitboard. lots of fun and not too hard either. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but im fairly confident that its going to work well.
Needed lots of tools, particularly a grinder! used quick setting Araldite (£5, always handy stuff for fixing dents and broken edges etc on skis and boards) for glueing all the bolts to keep things waterproof with the hope that it wont start cracking. for the cut edge i used a M3 Marine Adhesive Sealant (£10) also hoping it will be okay but im not totally convinced. might get something else if it starts coming off.
To cut the board in half i used a simple hand saw and it did a great job. And the hinges were a bit of a fiddle but i think they turned out good. the ONLY thing im worried about is that i tightened the bolts too much and it might have weekend the wood inside.
anyway hope this helps someone and ill post something if i find problems or it breaks!
Here are a few photos. more can be found with the link above.
Ill take some pics when i get it into snow and let everyone know how it goes. iv got rubbish shin splints at the moment so thats not going to happen for a wee while! anyone got tips on how to get rid of shin splints as quickly as poss?!
Sweet man! You may be able to make a tiny bit cheaper substituting some wing nuts for hex nuts where you can... last time I bought wing nuts they were 10x the cost of hex nuts Cool solution, what about skins?
Yeah it is a bit of a fiddly process converting it and i timed myself in my living room at 6 mins but up the mountain in the wind and snow im sure it will be a different story!
I used wing nuts so you could take them on and off with out tools and i made it so that you only have to take off 6 wing nuts to convert the board. Unfortunately bingings are fixed on using the standard screws which is time consuming and the risk of loosing a screw or two is highish but a few spare ones will ensure all is sweet. and also i can adjust my angles :-p
The skins i got are coll tex special V Mohair cheapos for £40 and i have attached them to the skis with a small bit of cord! it sits perfectly on to the ski. sound a bit DIY botch but it seems to work fine.
i was impressed too at how straight i managed to get the cut!! i took my time doing it though
Just to let you guys know that I got out on my DIY joby a bunch of times this year and all with great success! it worked the treat! My fingers did get a little cold sometimes during the conversion and my skins could be a little wider but apart from that it works and works well! when im rich I will get better skins