Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Few newb questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:34 pm 

I am gonna make a SB and am trying to decide on what board to use and some other ?'s.

I have like 5 boards laying around but do not think any are the perfect board for SB except my main ride which I do not think I want to split. Would a Burton CustomX split alright?

So....If I just go ahead and use what I got and find a better board (longer, pow board) later can I:
1)re-use the Voile Kit?
2)And what about the skins? can I reuse them on another board that is smaller? larger?
Or is it a one time deal and I better find the right board to live with?

Is there any-chance of finding the kit and skins cheaper than what Backcountry or REI has them for (other than Craigslist etc). Is the 2010 kit different than the 2009? Is the Kit at REI the 2010?

Are the Tractor skins the way to go?

thanks

Post subject: Re: Few newb questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:53 pm 

Welcome to SB.com!

If you don't want to split your fav, then pick the board with the most similar specs and preferably the longest of the boards.
The kit is reusable, BUT... you will need to get more t-nuts and the rivet thing's for the tip and tail clips (these don't use screws).
The skins should be usable on multiple boards.
Voile has recently made changes to the touring brackets and slider tracks. Its anyone's guess what retailers have on hand. If you are buying new, just buy the kit from Voile's website, get the latest parts and free shipping.

Shred on!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:57 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Welcome to SB.com!

If you don't want to split your fav, then pick the board with the most similar specs and preferably the longest of the boards.
The kit is reusable, BUT... you will need to get more t-nuts and the rivet thing's for the tip and tail clips (these don't use screws).
The skins should be usable on multiple boards.
Voile has recently made changes to the touring brackets and slider tracks. Its anyone's guess what retailers have on hand. If you are buying new, just buy the kit from Voile's website, get the latest parts and free shipping.

Shred on!

Thanks for the welcome and info!

I know longer is better for riding the pow but is longer also better/faster for skinning ascents?

So the skins are adjustable?

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:40 am 

Your going to cut the skins to fit your board. So yes they are re-usable but you can only go smaller not bigger. With that being said many people here on the boards have been using the same skins on different boards for years and never have problems.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:44 am 

What about ripping a Burton in half with 3d binding setuP? Do I cut through the mounts on the centerline? do I need these for the Voile mounts or do I make all new mounts for the Voile?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:34 pm 

There is a lot of info in other threads on what kinds of saws to use, how much of PITA it is, etc... short version is that the inserts will likely have to go. You probably want to drill them out and fill the holes with P-tex or epoxy before you rip the board.

Shep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:26 pm 

Shep wrote:
There is a lot of info in other threads on what kinds of saws to use, how much of PITA it is, etc... short version is that the inserts will likely have to go. You probably want to drill them out and fill the holes with P-tex or epoxy before you rip the board.

Shep

I am a contractor/carpenter so cutting Sh*t does not bother me. I just was not sure about the center inserts and you answered my questions on how to take that on.
(FWIW, I did try some searching)
Thanks!