Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cutting Skins
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:04 am 

I just bought my first splitboard and picked up some skins. What is the best technique for trimming the skins to fit my board? After dropping $200 on them I really don't want to screw them up. :thumpsup: Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Cutting Skins
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:58 am 

Initially, I'll place the loop over the tip of the ski and align the straight edge of the skin with the straight (inside) edge of the ski. I'll set the edge of the skin just inside of the inside metal edge - so I can see a VERY THIN strip of base material between the skin and the metal edge (like 1/32" thin**). Do this for the length of the entire skin - straight as an arrow :thumpsup:

**this all depends on how much metal edge you want to show on either side of the skin. Remember, you will be splitting this difference between both edges. If you're unsure, go less. You can always trim more off later. I like to have most of each metal edge showing.

Then use the zip-cutter supplied with your skins to run along the outside edge trimming the excess. As I cut, I will hold the cutter firmly against the outside edge of the ski and at a little less than 90 to the base. I think this makes a very accurate cut, but it might not make much difference from a 90... The cutter should cut nice and easy, if you're having to use a lot of force, something isn't right.

For the tail, I'll take a sharpie and mark either end (width) of the skin where the tail begins to curve up. This will be 90 degrees to the length of the skin. If you're anal, use a square. Then use the cutter from point to point to trim the excess length.

Pull the skins off and set them again - this time run the inside edge of the skin over 1/2 the distance of what edge/base material you had showing during the cut. You should now have exposed metal edge on both sides of your ski (no base material should be showing at all).

That's how I do it, but I'm sure there are plenty of other methods out there... let me know if any of that isn't clear

Post subject: Re: Cutting Skins
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:06 pm 

Thanks! I should have asked you to begin with... you did make the board! :wink: