Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY and the board won. Can ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:55 pm 

Hey, I was making my first split. Got everything up to mounting the nylon pucks done awesome. Was really happy with how it was turning out. I cut my NS Legacy 66 which was my baby so I was really taking my time and read as much as I could off this forum.

I would consider myself a bit of a "carcass hucker" so I headed the advice on this forum and decided to T-Nut the pucks on. Well of course I found the original inserts when I went to countersink my holes for the T-Nuts. I can not seem to dill through these things (the metal). I have no Idea what to do but I have 8 out of my 16 holes for the pucks that are not usable. It's the puck holes closest to the cut edge and the metal only covers about half the hole. Any help? At this point I'm super discouraged and mad at my efforts. It's looking like another season on snow shoes....

Thanks,
joe

Post subject: Re: DIY and the board won. Can ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:10 pm 

I know if i couldn't drill out the t-nuts, or find a drill that could. I would just cut the t-nuts your about to put in around the existing insert and epoxy it. I have seen a few people do this before if i am not mistaken. :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:45 pm 

what about drilling new holes in the pucks?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:11 pm 

I'd consider going with the idea chase_e brought up.

Use a dremmel tool with a cutting wheel to notch the inserts so they will miss the factory inserts altogether. Use a vice to pinch the insert and go to town - crescent moon it. Just don't take any more out of the insert than is necessary - you shouldn't have to get real close to the barrel.

how are you planning on finishing the base?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:48 pm 

Thanks guy's... It was a thought of mine to either try to dremel the insert out or cut the t nuts to fit. Glad someone else brought it up. In retrospect the way to have done it would have been to t nut the outsides (thinking there gonna experience the most pressure during turning) and then just epoxy/screw near the insert.

As for the bases that will be interesting... I didn't realize I had to worry about the skins pulling stuff out till the board was cut in half (100%new to splitting). I may go for the epoxy to fill everything route. At this point I'm planning on base welding as much as possible... I think I may have just stumbled onto a living nightmare. :thumpsup:

Please ALL ADVICE and OPINIONS are welcomed on anything I may encouter from here out. Once I learn how to post picks I will gladly supply some pics and advice for future attempts. Thanks chase-e, monk, and troweller and I should thank the owner/others of this site as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:43 am 

Monk151 wrote:
I'd consider going with the idea chase_e brought up.

Use a dremmel tool with a cutting wheel to notch the inserts so they will miss the factory inserts altogether. Use a vice to pinch the insert and go to town - crescent moon it. Just don't take any more out of the insert than is necessary - you shouldn't have to get real close to the barrel.

how are you planning on finishing the base?

It's great having a community to come and learn from! I knew nothing about splitboarding/diy splitboards a month ago, But this forum has more information than you could read in a month(I tried)

Back on topic now, the skins can/will pull out a lot of materials from your base holes. My recommendation (learned from monk151) is to get some marine epoxy (I use west system g/flex 650) and fill every new hole with the epoxy. But make sure it is a long cure epoxy, a few people have reported on this site that the slower cure epoxy's are just to brittle and will pull out. You can then sand/smooth down the holes so they are flush throw on a coat of wax and hit the snow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:04 am 

I had some luck drilling out my holes where the factory binding inserts were located (on about 4 holes). I had to drill a long time, and it seemed like no progress was being made. Finally, I was able to pound the t-nut into place after clipping off the little spike (it took a lot of pounding). Like you, there was only about 1/2 the factory binding in my way. If I couldn't have drilled out the metal, I would have cut the t-nuts in half and gone that route.

I used metal-grip p-tex to fill the holes for most of my base, but used the two-part epoxy system from West Systems (655-K) to fill the holes near the factory inserts. You can get epoxy color filler as well to match the color of your base or p-tex you use. I haven't had any problems ripping out either the metal p-tex or epoxy. Good luck!

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 am 

Well I just finished bolting the pucks on! Thanks for the help guys. I ended up using a roto zip with a cutting wheel to shape my inserts around the metal. Dremel tool would of been way better but I didn't have access to one. Waiting for my epoxy to gel up really nice to check things out make sure everything lines up and then it's tip and tail hooks and hole filling. I will post pics and more details about some of the issues I ran into for others thinking about having a go at it. The way to do it is only t bolt the outsides (closest to the uncut edge) and wood screw/epoxy the other ones.

2 things...
Splitting your own is not for the faint of heart. Take your time and have fun, this process cannot be rushed I'm over a week past when I thought mine would be done.

BUY A SPLITBOARD! if you can afford it this is the way to go hands down, or have someone proffesional like monk at custom splits do it. I am very happy with my project so far but I can see quite a few downfalls already in not having a inside edge and the proper mounting sytems and I haven't even hit the snow. With a company like venture out there if you got the money don't be cheap it's worth it. I don't have the money and it will probably be January before I get skins.

Thanks again for the help! I will post pics as soon as it's totally complete.
Joe