Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best saw for ripping a board?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:17 pm 

I am thinking about making a splitboard.
What is the best type of saw to use?
What type of straight edge guide works the best?
Does one cut from the top or bottom?

Post subject: Re: best saw for ripping a board?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:18 pm 

What I have done is to measure and cut everything from the bottom or base of the board. Run some tape from both contact points on tip and tail (widest Points) and one in the middle. Run some tape from the tip to the tail roughly in the middle and make your center marks. When you have these three center marks have a friend help you lay another piece of tape directly on center marks and run a pencil mark down the side of the tape which should be your center. I have found it best to cut with a band saw, but I have also cut them with a jig saw. Measure twice and drink a beer and take a bong rip to relax before you cut that shit in half Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:03 pm 

I had pretty decent luck with a circular saw with a carbide tipped blade and metal straight edge. A band saw would work great but cost more $$$. I cut with the base up from tail to tip. Make sure to pre-cut the metal edges at the tip and tail with a hacksaw so you don't blow out your edges with the circular saw.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:31 am 

I have cut several boards with circular saws.
The first one was with a worm drive skilsaw, you will want a guide with this method. The guide can be the metal straight edge, or you can use the carpenters method of making a shooting board. This is two pieces of wood one 3" wide x 8' +/- long the other approximately 9" wide by the same length (plywood works best) glued and screwed together to create a =_____.
The bottom of the base of the saw rides on the plywood and the edge of the saw rides against the edge of the plywood. You will want to make a pass on this shooting board with saw to cut to the exact size of the saw(creating a guide that registers exactly to that saw base. Then you mark your center line on the board(minus one half blade width), clamp the guide to the board and cut perfectly centered. This method has the advantage of being foolproof, no math mistakes.

The second board I cut was with a festool rail saw (http://www.festoolusa.com/products/plun ... cular-saws) which is basically a circular saw that rides on an aluminum guide rail (fancy German shit). These saws are great but come with a hefty price tag, I am a contractor so it has paid for itself already.

The important thing is to use a good blade, carbide teeth. Ideally you would want a 40 tooth with a 0* or -5* hook. You can also get carbide blades that will cut through metal that will fit in a circular saw. The metal blade has a negative hook on the teeth as well (http://www.toolmarts.com/pc_12831.html). This blade will cut thru the metal edges as well as the rest of the board. Just take it slow thru the metal.

Good luck :rock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:43 am 

the saw is not so importand.... the cut must small and straight ....
waterjet is best - but and cabelsaw with a 0,8 mm band doe the same work - is ok.
an needs a good craftsman with a slowhand ... not a turkey....

IMPORTAND : Straight milling after filling up the new sidewall s is importand .

the new sidewalls are between the upper - down belt are Pu ore Epoxi resing - any thing else.

after filling up : a long alu riffel and a handmilling ( zb. Elu 96 )machine with a bearing works great .

Burton