Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: All of the above
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:40 pm 

For starters, this is a sweet site and there's excellent advice throughout this forum. I'm going to build my first splitboard this weekend! :drool:

I picked up a K2 eldo in great shape for cheap, the voile kit is in the mail, and I ordered some full length edges that should arrive on Friday. I have a plan for cutting the board using a clamped straight edge and a skillsaw. Installing the hardware sounds straight forward, but I have some questions regarding beveling the inside edge, and installing inside edges. I know it's not necessary when riding just powder, but I plan on using these for all condition touring/riding, so it would be nice to have edges on crusty hardpack.

What is the procedure for beveling the 45 degree on the inner side of the board?

Once the board is split, my plan is to router a groove that will barely accept the edges (requiring a very tight fit), secured with epoxy. Does this sound like it will work? Is there some kind of edge screw that can be installed provide shear strength?

Once the edges are installed, I was going to epoxy the entire inner edge with two coats of marine epoxy.

Then install the hardware using t-bolts backfilled with marine epoxy. Viola!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I'm skeptical about the possibility of destroying a perfectly good snowboard.

Post subject: Re: All of the above
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:00 pm 

Ok, splitty is mostly done. Just some epoxying left to fill in the t-nuts. It did not come out beautifully, but it is solid. I learned how to do a lot of it the hard way, and plan on splitting another next summer based on how this rides, and the learning experience.

Things I learned, if when insetting inner metal edges keep the routed groove at the glue line between the p-tex and the wood. It would make nearly the perfect height, and as far as width wise, most definitely use a straight edge when cutting the groove for the p-tex to accept the edge. If it is not deep enough, you can file it to the correct height after the epoxy sets.

If anyone wants to do some Tahoe area BC this winter, I'm down. I could use some people to ride with.

Post subject: Re: All of the above
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:08 am 

Right on dood, welcome to the site and happy splitting! :headbang: