Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got a little carried away
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:37 am 

Thought id try a few new ideas out when i put this together.First off most of the mods have had a years use on them so i can honestly say it can take the abuse lol.
To name a few and i might miss a few,delrin overlapping pucks,stainless bails with cant/lift,clips that add torsional strength,stainless t nuts ground flush,arbour split with inside edge.
Boots: Added upper cuff and tongue from delux 324 hardboots to zzero lower shell and made a bts spring system for the back that is modded so when the white part is turned a certain way there is more travel for touringImageImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: Got a little carried away
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:38 am 

Way cool, not too sure about the hard boots, but could ya post a pic of the boards base

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:33 am 

vapor wrote:

This looks like a very choice design! How did you do it? How can i do it!!!?? Seems like that would be way stronger then some chincy wood screws... Utilizing those factory inserts is key.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:28 pm 

Here is a pic of the base with the stainless tee nuts. As for the pucks i started out with one piece as you figured,milled the profile then clamped to the table at the degrees i wanted the binding. Having digital readout on the table makes it easier for sure.
You do notice how much more solid overlapping pucks make things,having about five years experience with carving and hardboots i got it onto its side and it felt pretty nice. Its usually slow for me in the winter work wise so could whip up a pair for someone if there interested but its pretty easy to make a home set with a good table saw.
This was more of an experiment in trying to rectify concerns that people have with production equipment and seeing if i could do better.By far the best mod although not the lightest at 3.7 pounds the boots are fully tunable and dynafit climbs like a dream.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:07 am 

Very nice, those hardboot binders look solid, something I've always questioned with the voile plastic plate binders. I wonder if you could bring down a bit closer to the board. I also wonder if the overlapping pucks have issues icing up much like the chinese hooks often do, that can be a major pain in certain situations. Wish I had the mind to think like you, keep it up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:58 pm 

Thanks UTAH, i like cant and lift in my bindings and built it in but could get them to around .350 off the vole plate if i was running it flat. Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:09 pm 

Nice pucks! Did you build the cant into the pucks or the binding itself?
Where did you source your delrin?

I've been thinking that if one were to build a slider plate similar in width to Wills Sparks....one could mount the heel and toe bails directly to the sides of the slider. This would sit the boot on top of the slider plate and eliminate that "walking on stilts" feeling.

gary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:54 pm 

I built the the cant and lift into the bindings. i found it was quite lighter than having the pucks canted like i did last year( talk about horrors stories setting that up).I work in a machine shop so i was easy to get the stuff(sh*ts expensive though) but it makes up for how accurate you can machine and how durable it is. you can go to any machine shop and they will order you in a chunk.

Was thinking of that idea myself,especially with wills new plates.You could use shoulder bolts screwed into the sides and have the boots rest right on the plate, would be a custom job and work with one boot but it would be sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:55 am 

Ahhh, didn't notice the lift in the photo...that would be a nightmare to set up on the pucks. Good work.

I used UHWM for my pucks which isn't too bad for the weight. The overlap certainly adds to the torsional rigidity though. Had to go through a Calgary to get the UHMW though...

Quote:
Was thinking of that idea myself,especially with wills new plates.You could use shoulder bolts screwed into the sides and have the boots rest right on the plate, would be a custom job and work with one boot but it would be sweet.

when you get them built...make sure you post some photo's...or better yet, build two pair...I could use a set.
gary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:35 pm 

When I saw the title and the name, I was a bit worried that you cut up that Rad-Air LSD I sold ya! Wood is good, though. Nice mods, I'd like to talk to you about some pucks myself, for my next project, later this winter, when I find the next victim! PM me, thanks, Jon