Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Modifying your skins?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:05 am 

Was touring this weekend on an aggressive skin track (still need to work on my kick turns). Unfortunately I slipped one too many times. So much that one of my skins quickly snowed up from the tail end and altogether stopped sticking to the split. Tried a quick fix with some straps but that didn't hold at all.

Has anyone modified the tail end of their skins to attach them to the board?

I'd like to think skins slipping off on the tail end doesn't happen often. Anyone have any mods or tips to avoid this?

Post subject: Re: Modifying your skins?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:29 am 

I guess this doesn't answer your questions directly, but:

When making kick turns try and step upwards as opposed to sideways, and try and make the step small. this helps you stay balanced throughout, you don't need to shift your weight a long distance. Also make sure your poles are planted where they should be before you start, so you don't have to replant them when in the middle. Lastly, pay attention to the rhythm in which you tap the heel and swing over the second "ski", so the tip never gets stuck.

As for slipping back - it took me a long while to figure out, but it turns out my natural stride is a little too big when it's steep. Sometimes it's just impossible to shift the weight while keeping the heel weighted, so I try and keep it tighter when it's steep. That way my upper body doesn't swing around and I'm more in control. This is a bit like hiking, small controlled steps are less tiring than big ones. For what it's worth I also naturally skip one or even two steps when walking up stairs, that sort of cued me.

Search the forum, there are a few threads on using G3 or black diamond skins, and modifying the board for different tip/tail clips.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:02 pm 

I find that rounding off the tails of my skins works best. Of course trim them just short of the up turn on the tail of the board.

Slipping- Like Nothingmuch said, shorter strides help. Also I have found shorter pole plants with my hands on top of my poles so I am standing upright and heavily weighting my climbing wires. Sometimes I even curl my toes up to touch the top of my boots. It forces me to weight my climbing wires even more.
Slowing down a bit never hurts. A mantra that has served me well since I learned it a long time ago is "Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:05 pm 

http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1979

when I get my next set of skins, Im going to go a bit long and attach some of the tail hooks from the old burton set up with a new notch cut into the tails I think. You should be able to rig something up with parts from other skin systems. Im surprised Voile hasnt addressed this yet...?

(i havent searched much)