Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:39 pm 

I bought a Burton S-165 two weeks ago, I love the ride but while skinning up the mountaineers route at whitney My heel lift (climbing bar) fell off. I thightened it on the trail but by the time I got to the car the screw had stripped the interface. I have nuts on the back of the screws now but I had to remove one of the plastic fins on the bottom of my Buton bindings so it would sit flat. Has anyone used a rivet to fasten the heel clip to the interface?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:47 pm 

jimw wrote:
bcrider wrote:
jimw wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to hook the tip/tail clips together before starting down (ahem, this was "back in the day", of course I never do this anymore... ). And you know what? I never noticed any performance difference from the board. I guess technically with the tail clip loose it ought to feel kinda more like a swallowtail...
jimw,
If you are on firm snow you'd be able to tell.

In some of those cases I was. Well, spring snow at least. And it felt fine. The interface plates and the chinese hooks do the lion's share of the work keeping the board together and stable for the part of the edge that sees the most use. If I had to choose one piece to lose on a trip, the tip clip would be it. Of course we shouldn't have to even worry about losing anything, but that's another story... :)

OK, I take it back. The tip clip absolutely makes a difference in steep hard snow! I found out the hard way in "No name" chute this past weekend. The new name is now "Oh Shit" chute, partly because of this. I think previously I may have forgotten to hook the tail clip, and perhaps that makes less of an impact vs. the tip since the tail is shorter, I dunno... In any case, I stand corrected.