Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitting K2 Trucker
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:27 am 

I have an older Trucker that is delaming in the rear so I think that I may split it. Question: With such a wide tip/tail, will the skins fit properly over the tip? I'm thinking that I could probably notch the tip if it's too wide.?. Thoughts?

And who wants to sell me the DIY Voile kit?

Thanks

Will

Post subject: Re: Splitting K2 Trucker
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:06 pm 

Why would you put your time and effort, not to mention money, into a board that is delaming. My split has to be my best board, not a hand-me-down, last legs, loaner type board. Go find a kick ass board on the cheap and split it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:46 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:
Why would you put your time and effort, not to mention money, into a board that is delaming.

Cause it's what I have for a spare board and I'm broke. The only other boards that I have are another trucker and my 200 and the 200 isn't gettin split. I don't know that I have the balls to cut the "good" trucker. Finding a long board cheap is tough. This isn't a primary board - I just don't have the terrain around me like some of you lucky bastards around here. :bow:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:39 am 

I understand money's tight and you can only do what you can do. My main point is that a shitty board split will make an even shitter split. And that is after you've spent a bunch of time and money on it. I'd save and get a board that deserves to be ridden in the backcountry. Just my :twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:49 pm 

Point taken. Thanks. I have another Trucker that is my "good" one but I don't want to split it. Maybe I can find a decent used one.?.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 pm 

Finding a good used one or better yet one on clearance is what I'd recommend.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:08 am 

Ecobrad wrote:
Finding a good used one or better yet one on clearance is what I'd recommend.

There's an older Burton w/their interface on here that I'm working on the wife to let me get. Looks like I need to pick up a couple extra details at work.... :bananas:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:56 am 

It's my personal opinion to stay away from the Burton interface. Some people are very proficient with it but I struggled the season I used it. Very hard to keep ice/snow out of the moving parts. A lot of times my partners with the Voile interface would be done riding the line and I'd be at the top still scraping ice.

Not to mention that it's discontinued and spare parts will become increasingly hard to find.

I think the cheapest way to get a good split is to find a clearance/good condition solid board then a split kit.

What I would probably do in your situation (it's actually what I did to get started ~ five years ago) would find the cheapest used splitboard that you can afford that fits you and buy it.

Here's a pic of my first split, I think I paid $250 for it or something like that. Notice the neon, non-camber and homemade dovetail. I've slowly but surely upgraded and now own three splits.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:33 pm 

love the color :headbang:

I actually am gonna buy the burton one on here after speaking with a buddy who's a local shop owner. He's also gonna try to get me a Voile setup for cheap and give me a board to split too. So I may be able to do another setup as well on the cheap. That, however, wouldn't be able to happen until the summer so I am gonna get the burton setup now and he said that he knows someone that would buy it off me in a heartbeat so I'm not too worried about it. It'll get me through the season anyway. That and I ride primarily alone so people waiting isn't an issue. Thanks for the advice.

Given my name here you can probably guess that there will be plenty of pics when I get out there....