Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inserts distance from the center of the board
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:24 pm 

Hi,

Splitboarding in France is not easy : it's nearly impossible to find a Burton S-Series 3 months before the winter, and ordering from the United States (either from Prior or from Never Summer) cost an arm and a leg, even with a low dollar (shipping overseas is not cheap!).

So, I decided to go the local way, and the nice guys of White Cristal http://www.whitecristalsb.com (a french custom ski and snowboard company) have offered me the opportunity to build a custom split for a really reasonable price. The shape of the split is quite classic (168 cm height, 26 cm waist, 9 m sidecut, twin tip).

I ordered a Voilé Kit, and the building instructions about how to set up the various bindings are very clear.

But I'm left with some questions about where to drill the inserts for the base of the bindings (the pieces where you slide the metal sheet where the bindings are bolted).

At which distance from the inner side of the split shall I I drill them ? It's not very easy to guess, and I don't have any reference board to compare. Vertically, I can made some assumptions about my stance from other snowboards that I already got, but on this one I don't know... Furthermore, I'd like to test several configurations, to give feedback about the behavior of the boards to the White Cristal guys!

Sorry for my poor wording, I ain't a skiman, more a liquid water surfer lost in the Alps (for bad or for good, only the future will tell, but it's looking pretty bright with a split !)

Thanks in advance for your answer. $

-ben

Post subject: Re: Inserts distance from the center of the board
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:50 am 

Hi

Sounds like you have found your board already so i guess its a bit late to say this but there is a company called www.telemark-pyrenees.com who sell splits in Europe and last i heard they had some stock. Mostly Viole i think though. Also, did you try E-bay, i have seen in mentioned before else where on splitboard.com but there are quite a few people who buy splits and dont get on with it (dont know why!) and then sell it nearly new. I am sure you have looked at these ideas already but just a few thoughts from a fellow european split boarder!! See you out there

Post subject: Re: Inserts distance from the center of the board
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:50 am 

Hi,

Yes, I ordered my Voilé kit through the Télémark Pyréenés website. I could have ordered the Mojo board through them, but I was not feeling confident about the shape of the Mojo, for various reasons. And the custom that the White Cristal guys will shape for me is cheaper than this board...