Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Puck mounting question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 pm 

OK maybe this is a dumb question, but I am just waiting for my split your own board kit to arrive so I havent had a good look at anything yet. Why cant we use one or two of the original binding inserts when mounting the pucks on a DIY? Seems to me they would be located dead on where you would want them anyway, also the less holes you have to drill through your board the better right? Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I would think something could be developed that used some of the holes on a standard four hole pattern. Can anyone enlighten me?

Post subject: Re: Puck mounting question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:47 am 

If you are lucky (ie - like the stance) you can use 1 of the factory inserts per puck on just one half of the board. For me I was able to use 1 of the factory mounts on each of the rear pucks. The reason that you can't do the same on the other half of the board is that the pucks would be too close together and there would be way too much play with the slider track on the pucks. The holes on the pucks are also spaced differently than the the factory mounts, so you will likely only be able to get one hole to line up.

Post subject: Re: Puck mounting question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:54 am 

The same held true for me with the two boards I made this week. You are able to use an insert if you have it available. But keep in mind that a factory insert goes along the iceberg theory; it flares out and is around the size of a nickel or quarter underneath the surface. So when locating the hole pattern, if you use one factory insert, be careful of where the other three fall. Too close to another insert and you will be having to drill and tap more steel under the surface.
And different manufacturers use varying styles of inserts. Sometimes the whole six/eight/ten/twelve pack of inserts under a binding are held together with flashing like a model car kit comes out of the box. One piece of that flashing caught up in my drill bit this week and twisted up a bit. Luckily it took only a few minutes of correction to pull it out and the epoxy filled in the rest.
After the first few holes I found it better to err on the side of caution and drill a tiny pilot hole with a 1/32" bit to "feel around" where I am about to lay down the pattern. (a 1/32" hole can disappear w/ some epoxy or P-Tex)