Post subject: Re: Splitmaking - give a telemarker a board and make lemonade
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:44 am 

nice write up

post up some mtn bike shots up here

you post on nsmb.com?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:05 pm 

Quote:
I have a jig for my table saw for the cutting part. Got to fix the damage to it, though. Very handy for making the cut(s).

Hey Jon,
Any chance you might be able to post up a pic of that jig? I've been pondering the tablesaw vs. skilsaw with a straightedge issue in my head for a while. I keep coming down on the skilsaw side. What I really wanted to do was set up a jig on a big bandsaw to reduce the kerf, but sadly no longer have access to said big bandsaw.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:10 pm 

Cross-post from Ttips.com, so I haven't even edited the text to make it more snowboarderly.

Hi all. Well, many of you reviewed my splitboard construction saga:

http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... splitboard

I could have posted in the Coast Mtn. thread, but some wanted a homemade splitboard follow-up. So, now it's a couple of months later, avy danger up in the Coast Mountains has settled down and the lovely Mrs. WH has been out testing the product about 6 or 7 times, we just keep forgetting the camera. She's been gun-shy about taking backcountry chances when avy danger has been Considerable to Extreme all winter... smart lady. Now that it's been nearly 2 weeks without considerable snowfall, resort skiing was getting desperate, so she was guns blazing for this outing and we finally remembered the camera.... sorry about the mellow terrain!

We joined Wishful Thinking (ttiper) and spent a lovely Sunday playing in the backcountry while the kids were in their ski school program.

End result: the splitboard is working well and Mrs. WH was getting fast in the transitions (about 1/3 longer than a tele-farter). The board was slightly flexier in-bounds, but no noticeable difference in the OB. Skinning with the skis reversed was money for the cross-hill edging. Two thumbs up.

After a couple of chair-based laps to get warmed up, we headed out to the bumps to hit some less-skied lines. Mrs. WH believes in warming up the easy way:

Followed by Wishful:

Mrs. WH tracing my line snowboard-style:

First lap done:

Wishful and Mrs. WH were thinking there was ample ugliness all around; bad weather, horrible views:

Still lots of good stuff to be found - silky smoothness:

Heading towards Cowboy:

Running it out to the basin:

Double the Wishful Thinking:

Whitehonky is camera shy - carrying Mrs. WH's poles makes for great cell-phone reception!: