Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom Door Hinge Split
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:01 pm 

I think ACE Hardware should start putting together split kits cause this kids on to something.

check it out
http://www.snowboardmontana.org/SBMTFor ... f=33&t=253

Post subject: Re: Custom Door Hinge Split
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:20 pm 

Pretty freakin slick is right. I want to hold it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:08 pm 

I think one of the original splitboards that Voile designed their system around was cobbled together using door hinges.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:26 am 

The super simplicity of that set up would make it insanely awesome to build. But I think I'd try to find something that would be less of a hassle than those binding disks to hold the board together (chinese hooks might not provide enough strength here). I guess the downfall is that there are more pieces to lose (the binding disks and screws) when going from touring to boarding and visa-versa. But whatever, that's what ziplock bags are for :)

And I'm not completely sold on the durability/ride-ability of how it will stand up to a season of bc shredding due to the way the bindings are mounted. It just doesn't seem like there is enough integrity there for ripping serious turns in anything but fluff. But I suppose those 8 other screws with the binding disks help keep it together.

It almost makes me regret spending so much money on the voile kit, when I have the parts to make this one in my basement... hahaha. Maybe I'll build another one, super budget style :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:52 pm 

Total "Plate-o-shrimp" moment here.

I've been driving around the last week or so thinking "How cheap can I build a split for?".

Thought I was going to get a cheap board at the ski/skate sale today but with the economy the good stuff moved fasrt today.

This guy should have shopped for some army surplus skins and really saved big.

AS the late great Frank Zappa said. More deviation means more innovation (or something close).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:26 pm 

So he has to screw on his bindings to the board every time he switches over?

How does the binding attach to the touring door hinge bracket? Looks like he pulls and inserts the door hinge pin each time :scratch:

Cool idea and cheap solution, but I bet 10 minutes to switch out is the minimum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:55 pm 

Hey all, Im the one that built the door hinge split board, A shred friend said that there was a link to my post on snowboard montana, so I figured I would sign up incase any one had questions, or comments, haha, about the design and didnt want to log in to the other site. So far super inpressed with everything, really sturdy, had it out about a half dozen times, and with a couple modifications here and there the next one would be super efficient for a few more buck. So if anyone has questions let me know, Also have a more detailed description on the snowboard montana site. Nice to meet you all,

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:01 pm 

Now that you've had it out a few times how long is the change over taking you?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:47 pm 

sorry reply took so long, I would say on average 10 to 12 min, to swap the board over, prob 15 min total including skins switch It seems that skin switch over eats a big chunck of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:55 am 

hello splitboarders, i'm welcoming myself to your forum so... :bananas:

i have some questions/brainstorming for ride155, but if anyone else has anything to offer, then please jump in and we'll see how far we can push this dirtbag setup of his...

ride155, you mentioned looking for an alternative to your base plate split hooks. Do you have anything else in mind? I'm guessing the Voile ones http://www.voile-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1100-6SP&Category_Code=PSB&Product_Count=8 might not cut it due to your factory binding setup and their monsterous price tag. remember kids, we're pushing a scumbag budget to the limit here. :wink:

also are you inserting the factory door hinge pin every time out there in chilly conditions? if not hows about one of these:
http://knobsource.thomasnet.com/viewitems/all-categories-pins-quick-release-pins/-release-pins-wire-lock-pins-square-wire-lock-pins?&forward=1
or one of these:
http://www.yerikindia.com/4-General-Purpose-Items/32-Safety-Pins-(Made-of-Spring-Steel).html

hmm... that's it for now.... i think... i'll be back

thanks man, GREAT job on the backyard splitty!