Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Learning the hard way...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:51 pm 

So I just filleted my Fish - my first attempt at a split. And I regret not chopping up a crappy, useless deck before cutting into a brand-new board. After reading all the topics I could find about which saws/blades are preferred, I purchased this little guy (probably my first mistake):

I read that skill saws and carbide blades are the tools of choice, but I couldn't find one with this many teeth, or this thin.
Well I burnt that blade up before even making through the first insert... and in the process, caused this to happen:

So I have a small delam problem (which I was super upset about). I'm not really sure what to do about this yet. Any help here would be much appreciated.

So after that episode I still had 2/3 of the board to finish cutting. So with limited options, I took out the jig saw (many people on here say to stay away from those). I took two metal cutting blades (to maintain the thickness of the cut), put them in the saw together and taped them at the bottom (just to keep them together). This cut through the inserts without any problem and I still maintained a straight cut down the board. The end result was a nice smooth edge too.
Side note* I did use the helpful tip of cutting the edges at the tip and tail before sawing in half. I used a thin cut-off wheel myself.

So in conclusion:
- I don't think that using a jig saw is all that bad of an idea. As long as you don't rush, you'll get a straight clean line.
- Practice on a trashy board first to get the feel for the process.

Post subject: Re: Learning the hard way...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:14 pm 

that's brutal... I'm not exactly an expert around here myself, but I'm sure some of the guys will be able to help you out.

hang in there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:13 am 

Make sure you seal everything up with Epoxy. West system makes a greas system for splitboards (Gflex 650-k) is what I used.

Also, make sure you sharpen your paddle bit before you attempt to drill through the base for you T-nuts. Also, try to locate your pucks in a way such that you don't have to drill within ~1/2" of the existing Burton inserts... They are damn near mpossible to drill through without heating up too much.

Don't worry too much about the cut itself... having a gap is not the end of the world. Just remember to account for the gap when you place your chinese hooks, tip and tail tabs, and your pucks. Otherwise you will end up with a thinner board.

I just finished splitting my fish... I'll try to post some pictures up along with my DIY learing experiences...

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:40 am 

As JBH said make sure to seal everything up good before doing anything else to the board, that is imperative. You want to make sure the gap is what its going to be before you drill any holes in the board. You should be able to seal up that delam as well with some epoxy. You will probably need some sort of a heat gun, even a hair dryer will work if you don't have a "real" heat gun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:05 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

jbh, I read your topic a few times before starting my split. It was very helpful and detailed, and pictures would be awesome. I'm going to pick up that epoxy you used, it sounds like the best thing out there for what we're doing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:57 am 

Yeah, that Epoxy is great. It sets up quite slow... good penetration into the wood core... Something I did not do, but should have is to weigh out quantities of epoxy when mixing. Also, always mix about twice as much as you think you will need... You always use about 50% more than you thought anyways, and re-mixing is a pain and can affect the final product. Also, cure in a warm place, since it is a slower system. I try to let it cure for a few days before sanding, otherwise it is too soft.

I'll be posting pics of my split either this week or the next. All I have left to do is scrape and plane my P-tex repairs.

I'll also post what saw blade I used, as mine went straight through the inserts, no noise, no red hot metal, no dead blade... And it is quite thin...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:54 am 

jbh wrote:
I'll also post what saw blade I used, as mine went straight through the inserts, no noise, no red hot metal, no dead blade... And it is quite thin...

Lucky...
I'm looking forward to the pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:32 pm 

jbh wrote:

that'd be great for me too- I'm going to be cutting my first board in a few weeks and a good recommendation on a blade would be a big help.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:17 am 

yo jbh did you get the Metal Devil?

I got that blade of McMaster and hope it works. Cutting a brand new Burton Supermodel very very soon.

Yo Jimmy T I overheated my ptex just like you did with the wrong blades ... no big deal on the ptex, it just won't take wax there. The bigger problem is whether or not you overheated and therefore weakened the epoxy that holds your topsheet to your core. I think the way to mitigate that is to make sure *NO WATER* gets in your core by sealing the edge very well and using elmers glue for your binding screws.

What happened to my board is that the topsheet ripped right off on the heelside ski ... the binding puck pulled it out. That is why I am using ptex tnuts for the binding pucks on my 2nd homebrew split.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:52 am 

This is the blade I used. It is a Makita for their 6 1/2" cordless circular saw. Blade (D-26624). Here is the link to the saw I used as well: http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=25946

I believe they sell a comparable blade in the traditional 7 1/4" size. This worked great for me.

I'll be posting pictures tomorrow of my 98% complete split and everything I have taken along the way.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:16 am 

right guy's, i'm stoked to see all you fellow do it yourselfers out there, I just cut my old burton air tonight, check it out!!!
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f17/ ... 22354.html
I can't wait to get the kit and get into some epic earned turns.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:06 am 

Congrats and welcome to the site Krash!

FYI, we can't see the pics you posted unless we register on that forum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:47 pm 

So, I finally got my kit in the mail yesterday... And I'm on a roll.

I'm actually having a pretty decent time. I don't completely agree with Voile's order in which things should be done, namely the touring brackets. I personally think they should be done last. That way all the hardware is on the board and you can find the correct balance point. I just tossed the pucks on the deck in very rough locations and found the balance point and proceeded to mount the touring backets... Well, after doing that, I went ahead and figured out exactly where my stance was going. I then tried to balance the board with the pucks in their rightful location... Now I'm way off... Totally nose heavy. Can't imagine that would make touring any easier... But luckily for me, I opted not to use the plastic nose and tail clips. So now i'm just putting the tail one on to re-balance to board.

So yeah. Think about what you're doing and plan ahead :thumpsup: