Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking of splitting a volkl
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:21 pm 

Hi all, so Im very new to this, my buddy took me snowshoeing up Mt Rose in NV last spring with my snowboard on my back, and once i dropped into our first bowl I was sold. So, I've been riding a huge board as my daily ride for the last two years with a 165 Volkl Sting collecting dust in my rack. So, being the stingey bastard I am, after spending 3/4 of a day at work reading alot of stuff here, Im thinking the sting might be a good candidate. I loved that board, even AFTER breaking the edge on a rock and filling it with epoxy weld. That leads me to my question here, sorry for the story there.

I worked as a ski tech for 7 years, and I know that, at least the higher end volkl SKI's had a sheet of metal all the way through, which, among other things, made base welds damn near impossible (it was just beneath the ptex, and too much heat and the thing would 'bubble' up, and oh the mess we made of a few skis!!!). Does anyone know, I think my board is a 2003 or 2004, if i would run into the same issue? I'd hate to ruin it if that's gonna be the case, and since my condo's small, I'd hate even more to piss my girlfriend off making a mess of it for no reason at all. Any thoughts or help would be rad. I did NOT come across any metal when i ground out the edge I broke except edge material, but that doesn't speak much for underfoot. Thanks alot!!!

Eric

Post subject: Re: Thinking of splitting a volkl
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:20 pm 

I doubt there is any titanal in the Sting. At the most, Volkl's Renntiger (top of line race boards) had titanal strips laid into them for vibration dampning, no full sheet. I say go for it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:35 pm 

Or you could try taking a core sample. Do a little stratgic drilling underfoot or cut a way a little patch of ptex to see what's under there. That way you just uglify rather than totally f*ck up your ride. Or maybe even just call someone at volkl. :scratch: (Although trusting Jon ain't such a bad idea either - the man's encyclopedic.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:25 pm 

Near as I can tell, from online looking, it will have some carbon fiber layup and a full wood core. Kind of a freeride/freestyle all mountain stick. Should be good to cut, let us know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:31 am 

Now im getting all kinds of crap from the mrs. about getting hurt on a "homemade snowboard". I may look into buying one and making this a project and take my time with it. Ill post back with my findings though for sure! Thanks all! Now i gotta find something I can afford...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:57 am 

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5622 ?

Edit to add: Never mind. Sold. That thread was updated at the same time that I posted the link. Weird. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:48 pm 

earthmaggot wrote:
Now im getting all kinds of crap from the mrs. about getting hurt on a "homemade snowboard".

Hmm, sounds like a great excuse to get a nice reliable new splitboard... :thumpsup: Gotta run with what the missus tells ya! Or tell her this is just the kind of learning experience you need to fill out your snowboarding resume. All I can tell you on that front is I haven't hurt myself yet on any of my projects, at least due to construction error. Now, operater error is another issue... :scratch: