Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Homemade approach skis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:39 am 

I would think you still might want to think about a pair of sparks vs. carrying an extra pair of bindings

- install pucks on your solid board and use the sparks
- use them in tour mode on your approach skis

that way you only have to carry one pair of bindings. Saves what, probably 4-5 pounds? Plus the sparks are going to give you better edging control on the way up. Wa-la!

And cost wise it's probably a wash compared to the price of two pairs of bindings + voile plates. Perhaps too late now but if others are considering...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:42 pm 

I thought about that too but then that would be an extra 300 bucks and the other problem is I never ride the same board all the time between varying lengths and rock boards. Even though it would save overall poundage, the goal is to minimize weight on the feet and the sparks/voile setup outweighs the co2 bindings I have now by a decent amount. Then adding pucks and hardware, I might as well use a split. Good input though, thanks deejayoh.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:22 am 

If you havent ridden a factory splitboard, then dont pass judgement on what they can or cant do on "do or die" lines.....

Approach skis are not worth it...ive used them.

I now have 2 splits and no approach skis.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:06 pm 

I just sold my factory split, so I know what I'm passing judgement on. Approach skis might not have worked for you but you couldn't possibly know what I'm trying to "approach" without just being here to see what I'm talking about.
If I have to ride a regular cambered splitboard one more time, then I might as well learn how to tele and be done with it.
The only reason I'm not wanting another split is because I'm in love with my rocker boards and have lost interest in riding a snowboard that has a ski camber, especially in no fall zones. If the approach ski setup sucks for me too, then either it's a banana-split with sparks OR I'll just take the sled and a partner who can drive. Thanks for the input though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:54 pm 

I love these kinds of debates. Just remember, you are on a splitboard site so most will say "get a split".

Quote:
rag-dolled myself
- did you have approach skis on your back when you rag-dolled? :shock:

touring up in sketch "no fall" conditions on approach skis can be riskier than on a split which will be way more stable when climbing, esp. with crampons.

If your doing either quick out and back from resort gates or using a sled, then why don't you just use snowshoes or verts. Verts pack good on the back and are really light.

How will you pack a board and approach skis on a sled?

I've gotten used to the weight of the split, but when I do get on a solid board I do appreciate how nimble it can be so I understand where you're coming from.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:43 pm 

Luckily I haven't ragdolled myself on anything too scary. They have all been on the ski area where the exposure is not there, you know? I used to use shoes but the split was so much better. Yea, man, I need to lay off the approach ski approach on this fine split board website. I'm really now starting to think a super light banana split would be the best way to go, for me. Like a sparks superlight plate with a carbon highback and superlight straps. A 10lb. complete splitboard that stayed stiff and tight on hard pack would be the shit. The verts are a good idea because really, all I want to get to is around this big basin out the back of our ski area to get to some big faces. At the very bottoms of these big faces are huge cliffs that you would not want to go off of. Anybody have a light setup? If using the sled, we usually can get within booting distance. I use a milkcrate (modified) to hold my board. Yep, the nimbleness is what I want from a splitboard.
Hey everyone, have a great winter! May you get the powder days you deserve.