Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY basecamp
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:25 pm 

You should hit up a military surplus joint and pick up some ammo cans to lock/bury your gear in. Pretty cheap, pretty burly, and easily paintable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:16 pm 

Ditto what Bigdood said. Go here & grab an ammo box u can hang in a tree (any container with a lock on it is sure to get pilfered -a cache, a few metres away i think would be your best bet)

Shame, I have some CDN spec. cammo netting just sitting in storage in Ontario that would be perfect to hang off the sides. I could have let u borrow it in exchange for some time-share rights. :wink:

If you wait till the snow flies to errect it, I really cant imagine any self-respecting skier/border not recoignising it for what it is and trashing the place. Guaranteed, leave some wood stacked neatly beside the stove and your biggest problem will be evicting squaters who happened upon your skintrack, just drybag your sleep stuff and stash it seperate. :thumpsup:

...now you got me considering a winter "cottage" :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:19 pm 

Quote:
If you wait till the snow flies to errect it, I really cant imagine any self-respecting skier/border not recoignising it for what it is and trashing the place.

sorry, i assume you're saying they WONT trash it? just confused about the wording...

i guess it will be a study of human nature, seeing what happens to it over the winter. I HOPE that everyone will be chill and respectful - i mean hey, go ahead and use it when i'm not there :), i cant really lock the door to my tipi afterall . what i worry about is drunken sledders, not so much the touring crowd.

as far as ammo cans go, thats an awesome idea. probably a drybag too. but will i have any problem with mildew and the like if i put bedding in an airtight bag? the last thing i need is to show up to a rotten sleeping bag... :puke:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:12 pm 

If you don't dry it out completely before storing your bag in sub-zero temps, mildew will be the least of your worries.
You definatly don't want any condensation in there before heading for home.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:55 pm 

Attachment:
TP finished.jpg

ok i begged the use of a phone cam to bring you, drumroll please, A pic of the finished product!

yes i know, the door is way too big. i'm going to cut a piece of 3/8 ply to rest on the two poles either side of it. it should work nicely. As far as the little gap around the bottom, i plan to backfill around the edge when its in its final spot. woo hoo its done ! took about 25hrs, roughly estimated.

i put it up without rounding the tops of the poles first, and the tarp sat about a foot above the ground, because the area where the poles intersect was too big. So i took it all down, and ran a 1/2 inch round off bit down the top three feet of the pole edges. this was enough to get the tarp to sit where it is now, which is good enough for me.

so i leave for my family farm on wednesday - on my way out there, i'm going to get this baby set up and have a one night camp. then its harvest, and bring the split gear ( and maybe a chainsaw) back from the flatlands, and wait for snow. :clap:

i think i'll skip the woodstove and just go with an open pit. I really need to keep the fire on the ground and small, or the heat at the top will start melting stuff :shock

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:36 pm 

hmm i cant seem to remove that night pic in the edit feature... i'm probably just stupid...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:41 pm 

nice work dude, your building your teepee somewhere in the backwoods of BC eh? you open to giving a couple friendly uni splitters a tour once the snow flies? I picture some premium beers or some rum exchanging hands for such hospitality. Never toured around your area.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:37 pm 

hmmm, that could probably be arranged... where are you located? the tipi will be set up in the lumby area... about 130k's from my front door.

i am preferring the rum idea, as it's more efficient. :P , in addition, firewood gathering, and possibly tipi out-shoveling may be reqired...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:11 pm 

I always like to pull my weight around, and i always have a bit of rum in case I run into potential friends :pals: I'm on Van Isle. at the moment but am waiting with baited breath for the snow to start flying so i can make my way to the interior.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:45 pm 

That's pretty sweet!!!

I agree.. I doubt anybody would do more then take shelter to warm up, or possibly an emergency overnight.

You should leave a welcome sign, and a visitors log.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:47 pm 

well its up :bananas: i'll have to wait to post pics because i forgot the camera cord at home, and i'm 700kms away from it right now, but the experiment has officially begun. Will it hold up to the snow load? will it get trashed? will a psycho mountain wind knock it over? will they plow the road this year? (god i .hope so, or i'll be buying a 500$ sled as a tipi accessory) . questions abound.. I got two or three nights worth of wood stashed in the trees under tarpaper, but i hope i can get in with the car one more time, because my friend is maybe going to lend me his chainsaw :headbang: which will help hugely. my arm was gettin sore from the bowsaw :lol: .

i totally was thinking about a visitor log when i was up there - i left a pencil in a conspicuous spot, along with a "please dont burn me" sign on the pallets, and some token firewood to discourage said burning.

ok, thats it for now, I may or may not get computer access over the next week..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 pm 

Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:24 pm 

Hey man, congrats on the set up. If you would like another hand with collecting wood, I just moved to the Vernon area and would be down with helping.

Sorry, I don't have a chain saw but I could probably get my hands on and axe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next