Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY basecamp
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:16 am 

so i'm building a tipi :P

the pics will come but its a twelve foot diameter by twelve foot high hay tarp creation. Should sleep 4 easily and have my old woodstove in the middle. i plan to have it up in the next three weeks near my new chosen stash.

anyone else going to set up a camp, or have a sweet cabin to work out of ?

whats your terrain look like ?

I also have material left to make two more tipi's ... indian village :headbang:

by the way - http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/shelter/tepee.htm this is it

Post subject: Re: DIY basecamp
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 am 

Ha! That's awesome! Can't wait to see finished pics.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:55 pm 

ya i just have to hem a cord in the bottom, and sew the few flaps and peg loops on it, oh and cut the poles... still a few things, but the main pieces are cut. I think i'm going to have to set the sewing machine out in the back yard to hem in the thirty feet of cord , should entertain the neighbors.. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:11 pm 

Can you just use a regular ass sewing machine for sewing canvas, or do you have do use a souped up machine? Me and a buddy were talking about maybe setting up a little log lean-to or something somewhere in the Crystal backcountry, but I'm digging the teepee idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:51 pm 

well i'm just using a basic model Brother sewing machine. you're supposed to buy a heavy guage needle (or three) , but i havent even done that, and i'm ok so far. no broken needles. the material is a heavy nylon woven tarp like your typical blue tarp but thicker. I suppose i could be putting undue wear and tear on the thing, but it really doesnt seem to be struggling or anything.

I say go for it man, slap one up somewhere. If you have access to a lumber yard, you could grab some of the material that they wrap lifts in for free, i figured that would be my next choice if i didnt end up chopping up this tarp of mine. you need a piece 24ft by 12 to do the one i'm making, so two or three lift coverings sewn together should be lots. for really big pieces like that it would help to have one guy feeding the material and another sewing.

check out that link if you havent already - its not too hard...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:32 pm 

well i ripped the 14 ft 2x4 's for the poles last night, they seem strong enough, and i bought some nylon rope for the base cord and to tie the poles at the top.

after i grabbed the rope i hit the beer store for a six pack to drink while i was workin on the the thing. I grabbed my beer and walked up to the counter to pay, so i had to put this shiny white coil of sixty feet of nylon rope on the counter. the female clerk was like " uhh whats the rope for, thats kinda creepy". i smiled at her and said ".... sex games" :D in my best deadpan. she totally bought it, went bright red , and then says " well you have a good night then, to which i replied " oh yeah, i certainly will " as i walked out the door ... I cant wait wait to go back in there again :lol:

i tried to sew the flaps on the main canvas , and now see that this i where i will need the heavy needle...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:54 am 

Next time walk-in there only wearing leather shorts and handcuffs and buy a razor. She'll :puke:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:12 pm 

ahhahaha , :twisted: thank god i dont own any leather shorts or i might be goaded into doing this...

oh wait, the ex girlfriend took the handcuffs too..

anyway, i think the tarp needs a waterproof. it got wet last night and seemed a little too saturated. i have to hunt up a gallon of waterproofing somewhere. I think i've seen it at canadian tire.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:37 pm 

Give this stuff a try (its gangbusters on everything except SilNylon). Im pretty sure Crapy-Tire stocks it.

How many poles did you rip out of that 2x4?
@ 14' thoughs suckers are likely to snap under there own weight while packing them out if they're SPF.
Be sure and let'em dry out on a nice flat suface so they dont warp on ya, and I'd lash'em together before traveling w/ them.

...racking my brain trying to think of something better... :scratch: ,

Good luck man -& dont forget to post pics :D ,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:36 pm 

well they're ripped diagonally lengthwise to make 2 poles out of one 2x4. It sounds flimsy but when you get into it they arent that bad, as long as you get the cut right on the money. if you dont you end up with one beefy one and one thats ... not so beefy :)

i will absolutely post some pics, i'm trying to score a deal on a digicam right now. I also work days, and 4 nights a week, so i'm just trying to fit all this in before the snow flies... the weather just changed to cloud and showers, so up high it might already be starting ...

thanks for the tip on the waterproofing too..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:35 pm 

well the bottom cord is hemmed in, and the flaps are sewed on. I put up my poles and tried to hang the tarp on them, but my pole stand was a little uneven due to a poor tie of the first three poles. at that point i had lost light, so a retry will have to wait until thursday. looks promising though. It just needs some fine tuning and it should set up nicely. it has a little less room in it than i had thought it was going to have. basically just enough for 4 people with a fire in the middle.

i picked up a 100/16 box of denim needles, and some polyester rotproof upholstery thread... this combo wailed through the tarp pretty easy. I only stalled the sewing machine a couple of times while starting up. Its like a 4 cylinder car, lots of throttle to get going...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:12 pm 

Awesome. How do you plan to get the whole package into the backcountry? ATVs, jeep, snowmobile? Are you concerned about rogue hunters or the like finding it an thrashing it? Four and a fire work for me. Gotta bury a kitchen and sleeping bags if possible. That would make your skin in light as hell.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:19 pm 

well the idea is to lash it on the rack of my 86 subaru and drive it right the hell in before the snow flies. the road is actually pretty decent as far as forestry roads go. i've been up much worse thats for sure.

i'm hoping that i wont have any random rednecks show up and thrash it... :shock: usually the people i meet up there are chill, i'm just going to have to pray that people have some respect... but i also want to try and get it a hundred yards or so off the trail - as hidden as possible. two people can easily carry the whole thing. actually one could carry it if necessary, it would just be cumbersome.

i was thinking about a lock box for some gear stowage, but burying it would be even better :ninja: . and ya just leave the sleeping bags up there, not bad... i dont know how deep i can dig out there though.