Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - DIY basecamp

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: DIY basecamp
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:31 pm 

damn dude you're on this sheeit :D remember, its a big valley, and i did get it somewhat hid... but there's enough clues on here for you to find it easy. There better be whiskey or other offerings if i roll in and your havin a tipi party without me... :drinks:

hopefully they plow the road... if that happens, then its a 6k skin , and ya i'll be doin it in the dark for sure.. (huh huh, doin it in the dark, huh huh huh)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:37 pm 

ok its the sunday night tipi report

weather was humid with periods of light rain, and above freezing temps at 4500 ft had the 8 inches of snow on the ground melting fast. cloud cover hanging in the valley prevented assesment of conditions at higher elevations.

in other news... several days of use has rendered the borrowed chainsaw dull, slowing bucking progress . a lack of proper files was believed to be the reason for its continued use in this state. also contributing to the slowed progress was the operator being generally sick of hauling and cutting firewood. however, enough wood has been cut for probably 15 nights of raging woodstove toastiness , with unbucked reserves estimated at another five nights. the supply has been tarped with heavy gauge poly, aka the roommates temporary spraybooth.

the rest of the spraybooth poly has been tacked to the poles inside the tipi, making the bottom 8feet or so into a double walled tent. efforts were made to secure blankets for this purpose, but the local thrift store was charging way too much to buy five of them - 10$ apiece. a side benefit of the blanket mission was the procurement of a thule ski rack complete with the sweet locking board holder units and key. total cost - 5$ (!) .

provisional plans for next sunday are - bring up a bag of charcoal briquettes , a small rubbermaid tub to use as a sink, and MAYBE a spare car battery and 400w power inverter to run a 13w light bulb. this to be charged with a solar panel, which will be bought at a later paycheck. i 've had mixed reviews on whether this is just getting excessive... with the woodstove i've lost firelight , so i thought the whole battery setup would be rather pimp , but some say that a flouro bulb will just ruin the ambience... i dunno... stay tuned.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:48 pm 

can't wait to see some mid season TR's out of this thing!

i don't think you are going overboard at all ... me and my mates bought a caravan in the trailer park in our snow area to sleep in last season, it has since been extended to include enough beds for 14 people, gear drying room, outdoor kitchen, 6m deck and a full brick wood fired pizza oven. next season we are planning on adding a hot tub and 2nd storey deck for arvo beers in the sun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:46 pm 

gawd damn! :thatrocks:

you've got a bloody hostel set up man!

is this at a resort area or a BC location? and do you have any pics by chance?

I cant wait to get some real TR's down either - eternal reports of firewood chopping are getting very boring i think.

ok, who else has a camp set up? and if you dont - WHY NOT?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:54 am 

So libtech, how's the TP holding up?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:03 pm 

tried to get up there last weekend with Vapor, but due to economic shenanigans (i believe), the road isnt being plowed ... :banghead: so i am now looking to grab a 600$ sled .

i was there on nov 12 and it seemed to be shedding snow beautifully , but that was only 12 inches or so. now it'll be snowed in good and proper, so we shall see.

as of three weeks ago i got talked into buying into a pizza place. I tried to say no because i knew it was going to eat up my BC time, but the price just kept getting better and better till i couldnt refuse anymore. now i'm workin a day job, then nights at Rockwedge , as well as sunday aft/ eve . :banghead: so much for weekends in the tipi. I can still get a saturday/ sunday morning trip in though. so hopefully in january i'll have some reports ... sorry bout all the hype everyone, this whole business thing just came out of the blue..

thanks for checkin up Brad .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 pm 

might as well throw some old pics up now that i can ...

my dog has impeccable timing

testing the roof rack

ok thats it, enough nostalgia. hopefully this weekend i get some more recent pics.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:34 pm 

hey brad,so did you pick the machine up to get access in??

Post subject: oh the shame
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:31 pm 

well, not getting out there regularly to shovel had its consequences.... i think it's undoing was that big scoop of ice cream where the poles intersect... that thing had some serious mass to it when i chopped it up. keep in mind that theres 4ft 8in of settled snow on the ground, so the thing is only half collapsed actually. if i get a fellow shoveller out there, i should be able to rehab it, but man its going to take some time!

anyway, i didnt put this in the tr section cause my pics all kind of turned out like shit (and i was embarrassed). this was the ridge i tried to get up on to take some photos, but it cliffed out at the top, and i didnt have the time to hunt for another way up. i did get a decent run back down through a well spaced cedar forest though, so not a total loss. i was skinning up to the right of the pic, in the forest.

little cliff that shut me down. it ran for quite a ways in either direction.