Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY split boad questiond
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:20 pm 

I have read a few threads on the site before but this is my first post. I have been considering making my girlfriend and i spit boards for two seasons and now i am in a position to be a bit more serious about it and I have a few questions.

after you cut the board in half, what do you do with the inside edge? Do you insert a new metal edge, or just layer ptex or apoxy or it?

what about the binding inserts (screw holes)? i think its called t-bolting, but i dont really have the tools or knowledge. I have looked around online at sites like Tognar.com, but they say if its snowboards specific sizes.

What are some good websites to buy supplies some?

sorry if these questions seem noobish. I have never made a split board before and i want to make sure i do it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:39 pm 

Get the DIY kit from voile... i think you have everything in there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:07 pm 

To use T-nuts, you will need to drill through from the top side will a small bit to locate the hole. Then use a forstner bit to drill a lrager hold from the bottom side, which the T nut will sit flat in. Search this forum for a link to pre-P-Texed T-nuts. Someone sells them. I think using T-nuts is a worthwhile upgrade over the basic Voile Splitkit. (but I've never split my own board)

For the edge, the process is tougher, but there is info here if you want to do that. It does not appear to be a requirement for decent skinning performance.

Good Luck,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:00 pm 

Shep wrote:
To use T-nuts, you will need to drill through from the top side will a small bit to locate the hole. Then use a forstner bit to drill a lrager hold from the bottom side, which the T nut will sit flat in. Search this forum for a link to pre-P-Texed T-nuts. Someone sells them. I think using T-nuts is a worthwhile upgrade over the basic Voile Splitkit. (but I've never split my own board)

For the edge, the process is tougher, but there is info here if you want to do that. It does not appear to be a requirement for decent skinning performance.

Good Luck,
Shep

i definately want metal inserts and a metal edge on the inside. i want this board to kick ass and last. Do you know of any websites i can shop around on for them? is t-bolting the same for ski's and snowboards? I see on tognar.com they have some tools and bits, but they describe it as for ski's. I dont know if they are the same m6 size.

To insert a edge along the new cut, would i use a router to cut a groove for the edge insert to go into and then epoxy it? I cant really think of another way to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:23 pm 

are these the wrong size for snowboards?

http://tognar.com/binding_tools_boot_ca ... board.html
helicoil kit

Helicoil Screw Insert Kit Item #SHP-150032 : $99.95
These kits are designed to repair badly stripped or ripped-out binding screw holes in skis. They utilize aluminum spiral inserts that you thread into the damaged screw holes after enlarging and tapping them. All necessary parts are included in the kit...including a drill bit, tap, handle, insert tool and 100 spiral inserts. You'll need to supply your own electric drill. Extra helicoil inserts are also available if you need more...they're available in bags of 100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:01 pm 

A helicoil is for repairing a damaged hole. You're looking for T-nuts. Please review other posts in this forum. I don't have time to find all the info I'm looking for, much less go thread shopping for other people.

Best of Luck,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:02 pm 

Especially since T-nuts are the subject of 4-5 of the last 15 threads. The info is there. please read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:58 pm 

thanks for being a total jerk. its obvious i dont know what im looking for and was just asking for a little advice. if you dont like it then dont reply to the post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:50 am 

How many times did I say T-nuts?

If you've decided I'm a jerk, then I suppose that is that. Generally, though, most forums prefer that new members make an effort to look through old posts. This forum doesn't have a lot of traffic, so looking through the last year of posts on DIY splits won't take that much time.

I really do hope your DIY split works out well.

Thanks,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:52 am 

Shep wrote:

If you've decided I'm a jerk, then I suppose that is that. Generally, though, most forums prefer that new members make an effort to look through old posts. This forum doesn't have a lot of traffic, so looking through the last year of posts on DIY splits won't take that much time.

Thanks,
Shep

Please dont reply to my post anymore. the fashion in which you choose to respond is not helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 pm 

Wow, I wasn't going to respond any more, but I just can't help myself.

Best Regards,
Shep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:01 pm 

[e] wrote:
Shep wrote:

Thanks,
Shep

Please dont reply to my post anymore. the fashion in which you choose to respond is not helpful.

Damn, your skin better thicken up...on cascadeclimbers.com they would have already given you the Image for not reading the previous info. It's not personal, but you have to do your own homework, especially before getn pissy with other members tryn to answer your original question.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:50 pm 

Shep wrote:

Good Luck,
Shep

I did a search on "inside edge" to find some info on adding an edge but didn't find a thing. Can you point me in a direction. Or post how one would add that edge? Can I do it to my finished DIY without redrilling holes for the hinges? Where can you buy the actual metal edge.