Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you want? Teeth!?!?!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:24 am 

"why yes, yes I do."

That's how the short convo went after listening to my partner whining on an icy traverse... So, I made a board with teeth fro edges.. It started as a silly idea, but now I am thinking I might be on to something. Finished all but the touring hardware and it is pretty damn mean looking.

Now, you may be thinking..."but you can't have teeth. Voile's system requires that you slide the board halves together... " Sorry voile. This bad boy is all Lowe's

So, what do you think?

Would you like ginsu edges, or do you think splits are fine the way they are?( I thought they where fine myself, just a bit difficult at times)
Do you think there is a market for this in the splitworld?
Do you think I should quit wasting my time and be outside?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:43 am 

Can we see pictures?

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:21 am 

Still debating on what to call it..

A. fault line split system..

B. Jaws

C. The Lumberjack

a workshop that will make OCD's head spin.

I'm a bricklayer, not a carpenter. Yeah, I purposely went a little agressive on the edges for visual effect. Could be toned back I imagine..

No pictures of the rest just yet. These from early yesterday before I finished the edges, and the rest of the hardware to hold the halves together. I have several idea's for joining the halves together. One would be nearly insivible and probably the easiest and most functional, but would involve inserts in the production stages. What you see, could also be made to look stylish(I guess some people care about that). Also would involve a little bit of machining some parts... Not happening in my garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:36 am 

Interesting. Do you see this as a replacement for ski crampons? Or in addition too? It also seems like it might be a quiver board, like maybe for icy/spring conditions, and not powder days? Not to harass you with questions, any idea on weight? I'm guessing it's a bit heavier, but probably not too different. Aluminum for the teeth?

I think the whole idea is intriguing, keep up the good work.

"Oh man, that's like releasing a pack of wild baboons onto a keg of Icehouse next to a tied-up and gagged Lindsay Lohan." - Luca Brasi on TGR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:50 am 

I agree. Quiver board for hard days. Good second board to have in addition to a khyber.

I never really thought of it being a replacement to a crampon, but I am keeping in mind that if the condtions where that horrid, you could put the teeth on the same side, for say a really exposed traverse that makes you want to pee yourslef.

Weight? I don't have a scale, so I am not sure of the weight differance. I am guessing it is really clsoe. When it's all done, I'll give the differance between it and the khyber.

I went with aluminum because I thought it would be a little easier to work with, and it was easy to get in the size I wantted.. I am a little worried that it won't be strong enough we'll see when I get to demo it.

Thanks Mumbles for the puck ideas.(not the icy traverse bitcher)

Thanks fro your interest, I'll post the finish pictures and a report by maybe next week sometime. Still resltling with the best way to make a touring atachment.

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:34 pm 

@ al capone

new ideas are great

but

dont lose your time with death things ....

your board is in the waist to big you must walk like a duffy duc .
the secret is : build it lighter than voile - build it cleevere than the old burton system...

go on trail this time with your bike :wink:

Burton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:07 pm 

hahah,, I hear you man.. I get out on the bike plenty. It does get dark and rain here alot you know. :wink: Better to kill time in the garage tinkering then watching television.

Just wondering... do you skin with your straight edges on the inside? Most everyone I ride with puts the straight edge to the outside for skinning. So, the teeth wont affect the gait at all. No duffy duck walk :D

One unforeseen advantage.. I don't need any thing to hold the board together other then the binders and pucks. The teeth keep the halves from sliding longitudely(is that a word?) All that is need is tip and tail clips, and a couple of pieces of carbon fiber or something in place of the metal voile clips to keep it from taco shelling.

So, it just may be lighter then a voile split.... +/- for actuall board weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:10 pm 

ooops,, did not know there was a world wide carbon fiber shortage....

http://www.tapplastics.com/info/carbonnews.php

Post subject: xxx
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:12 am 

@ al capone

left right and right left i now it .... because the trace is bigger .

burton