Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is it necessary to cover t-nuts?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:38 pm 

Hi, I am halfway through making my GNU riders choice split and am wondering if it is necessary to cover the t-nuts with metal grip/ p-tex/ base patch etc or not? If so what would be recommended? I have noticed that factory boards don't have the touring gear t nut bases covered, just have them flush with the surface... but i will be using more t-nits as i'm also using them for the pucks, if i don't cover them is it going to slow me down a lot??

cheers

here's some pics so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:50 pm 

Not necessary, but...If you use that many t-nuts, thats a lot of openings for moisture. No need to do that for the chinese hooks and tip clips. I've used base repair material for mine, cut circles w/a gasket punch, epoxied them in place with a marine type epoxy. Picture of my base on the forum here, go to the thread; homemade split double eject. Fourth post is my board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 pm 

yeah i saw yours, looks like a good job.

I'm not too familiar with base patching, do you just epoxy it in, or do you also need to weld/fuse the edges of the patch to the regular base?

I will just be using the standard hardware for the tip and tail and split hooks, and try and utilise existing binding hols for the pucks t minimise t-nuts.

cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:41 am 

Just epoxy, then grind the base. You may be able to find repair inserts with base material on them already, I didn't have any luck, but you might.

Post subject: Re: Is it necessary to cover t-nuts?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:53 am 

toddo wrote:
I have noticed that factory boards don't have the touring gear t nut bases covered, just have them flush with the surface...

You must be talking about the nuts for the split hooks (not the touring brackets), because all the other holes are inserts and don't stick out the base.

Speaking of this, this is one thing I never understood. Why don't split manufacturers start making inserts for the split hook brackets as well? Why have those holes in the base? Burton did it years ago in the original S-series - ZERO holes in the base. If you're going to spend big $$$ on a factory split it just seems lame that there's not a better system for the split hooks that doesn't involve holes in the base.

Then again, my split already has so much other base carnage that the split hook bolts are the least of my worries... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:04 pm 

nice lookin split job so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:34 pm 

ahh k, it must of been a diy i got confused with.

think i will go ahead and patch the holes.

cheers for the advice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:44 pm 

i also t-nutted my pucks on my homesplit, and then epoxy-ed them, trying to make it flush with the base . i used a 5minute two part epoxy (because its what i had at the time). when i took my skins off, the goddam skinglue pulled the epoxy out the holes, and i'm STILL picking it out of my skins! so... definitely use something better than 5 minute stuff... when i repair this mess, i am going to try some base patch material instead.

i have definitely noticed the loss of glide with over twenty tnuts in my base, half of them not covered. still useable, just not the same.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:22 pm 

Nice cut!

It's interesting that you noticed the difference. I rode my DIY 8 times at the end of last season and I don't think I could tell the difference at all. But it was so totally different from riding my resort board it's too hard to tell.

I have tons of hardware on the bottom of mine too but I plan to take it in to my shop and have the holes filled with P-Tex when their pre-season sale starts in Oct.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:20 am 

well i frgot about this thread.

I ended up gluing base patch material into the holes with epoxy. One came out with the skin when i rode the board for the first time this weekend passed, other than that it goes really well. Rides a bit different to a normal board but still rides well.

Am considering splitting my pow board as well now ... but i use that in resorts mostly...