Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PMB Mod
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:58 am 

I have been testing these all season long and am satisfied with the performance in everything but the most bulletproof conditions. In those conditions an additional strap to the toe bail of the Voile plate bindings helps a lot.

I think it is time to market something like these. I will be approaching several PMB manufacturers in the next few weeks, hoping to get buy in.

The highback is mounted throught the exsiting PMB rivet location, I have installed a walk/ski mode in the back. Very simple and effective and does not interfere with bail type crampons. Next version will be without laces an have two buckles.

Let me know if you guys would be interested in something like this.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:06 pm 

Jim, if you can come up with a mountaineering boot that can be used all around I'm intersted. I'm using AT boots now. I can't see the photo attached. Laces or buckles are fine as I have boots that use both, but I think the buckles may be better for minor adjustments on the fly.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:10 pm 

I am using something similar and have been very satisfied.
I have the Koflach Verticals with a higher cuff that I had transfered from a set of the old softer plastic Koflach Oxygens and my Scarpa AT boot inserts and power strap.

I think a lot of people have similar PMB setups and we are all striving for the same thing, but the question remains - who will make it? I could still use things a little stiffer and the next step is definitely a buckle or two.

Frankenstein Lives on in the splitboard DIY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:46 am 

Interesting. I assume you use this set up with plate bindings, correct? I can see where heelside support would be adequate, but it seems to me that it'd not have enough forward lean support without an ankle strap.

I have actually done a similar mod to my Koflachs plus a basic Scarpa AT liner. The idea isn't 100% mine, but I cannibalized a second pair of the same boots by removing the articulated upper ankle cuff, and riveting it to the top of the ankle cuff on the original pair of boots. By doing so, I have effectively extended the lacing eyelets by about three inches up the ankle, and thereby have the forward lean and lateral stiffness that standard PMBs lack.

However, this boot really only works in a strap binding, where heelside support is provided by the highback, and toeside support it provided by a combination of the boot and ankle strap...same as notmal softie/straps set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:15 pm 

sverdina wrote:
However, this boot really only works in a strap binding, where heelside support is provided by the highback, and toeside support it provided by a combination of the boot and ankle strap...same as notmal softie/straps set up.

You could always use a BCD-style hybrid strap/plate binding with these boots:
http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2029

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:46 pm 

Ya, I've seen those before. I like it, however I'm fishing for a system with some sort of quick-release (or at least quickER release) capability...you know, in the event things go horribly wrong. Perhaps the ankle strap could be integrated onto the boot itself, kinda like the BRTN SI boots of yore. Obviously the boot and binding would have to be designed to work together. While the lever/release mechanism would have to be relocated and/or redesigned so as to mitigate the unintentional releasing issue, it seems to me that an SI-style binding in conjunction with a PMB-Soft boot hybrid would allow for relatively good downhill performance without sacrificing touring or booting performance. Most importantly however, the system could be rigged to be releasable.

Ok, ok...I'll stop dreaming now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:32 pm 

In that case, maybe you can take SF's idea and improve upon it:
http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3586

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:28 pm 

hell yeah guys, I am in the process of having a boot guy in Colorado rivet the uppers of an old ski boot onto my Koflaches, similar to others, adn i'll be using it with Flows and hopefully some modified r+ds nxt year Big problem is koflach is going out of buissness now and their boots are getting to be very hard to find it would be sweet if it somehow got bought out and a splitters influence could be made, I dont know how that stuff would work though good luck!