Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Almost ready
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:19 am 

Been working on this off and on for a few weeks now. Used an old Gnu for my first stab at it. It seems to have turned out pretty well, but I haven't taken it out yet. I have skins from www.climbingskinsdirect.com on the way right now.

Thoughts on the Voile kit: very simple and well-made. Customer service is awesome, as others have noted. I opted to t-nut the outermost bolts on each puck, so i got some t-nuts and p-tex plugs from a local shop. The other ones I just epoxied over. Found out that I had to be VERY exact with the hole locations for everything. The Voile templates are pretty close, but after the first few holes came out slightly off, I decided to use the various parts as the template and marked the holes to drill with the parts in place. The board seems to fit nice and tight together; we'll see what happens after riding it. Only real problem or screw-up I had was while pounding on of the nose clip rivets in, I thought I'd try and sink it nice and flush with the bottom of the board.... when I flipped it over, the rivet was pulled in too far, and kinda crooked. I was able to straighten it out, but latching the clip is almost too tight now. Oh well, better that than too loose.

Here're some pics. Obligatory cutting-the-board shot:

Board sliced in half:

All mounted up and ready to test (touring bracket looks crooked in the photo, but it's not... for the most part....):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:25 pm 

No skins yet, but I did get to ride some groomers and some chop at Alpine this last weekend, and did a little hiking behind my neighborhood. The board feels good on groomers, although a bit soft. In chopped up areas and in somewhat crusty untracked areas, the lack of stiffness is noticeable. The board was pretty beat already though, so slicing down the middle and also reducing the binding contact area didn't help matters.

But overall, I'm happy with it so far. Nothing came loose, and all the clips etc. held firm the whole weekend. I did lose a ptex plug though. Guess I'll just melt some more in and keep riding.

Can't wait to actually use it as it was intended. Hopefully the skins show up soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:35 pm 

Andy, looks sweet, great work. I hope your skins and bottomless powder are in your very near future.

DC Torch / Lowa Structura EVO AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:18 pm 

Heh heh... And Also With You.