Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Burton-Voile conversion question, or two.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:44 pm 

I have lurked my way through the extraordinary projects on this forum, but am left with a couple of questions as I ponder the future of the lady-friend's Burton Face.

1. Has anyone had any success using the Voile kit pucks with the wood screws as opposed to the DIY pucks? I read one story of someone pulling off the Voile pucks while riding, but one story may not be enough to dissuade my fool-filled heart. I suppose I am searching for success stories.

2. And you will have to pardon my ignorance on this one, but why not just use wood screws for the climbing bar mechanism, as opposed to creating an aluminum (would wood work?) foundation?

Thank you for your time. Jd.

Post subject: Re: A Burton-Voile conversion question, or two.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:05 pm 

govchez wrote:
1. Has anyone had any success using the Voile kit pucks with the wood screws as opposed to the DIY pucks? I read one story of someone pulling off the Voile pucks while riding, but one story may not be enough to dissuade my fool-filled heart. I suppose I am searching for success stories.

People have done this. You can use the universal pucks with machine screws using the existing Burton hole pattern. No drilling. A couple relevant posts:

http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopi ... 1759#11759
http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2435

Quote:
2. And you will have to pardon my ignorance on this one, but why not just use wood screws for the climbing bar mechanism, as opposed to creating an aluminum (would wood work?) foundation?

The point is to not have to put any unnecessary holes in the board. The climbing bar adpters people have made are so that you can use the existing Burton insert holes.

Post subject: Re: A Burton-Voile conversion question, or two.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:25 pm 

govchez wrote:

I think the ripping out you are referring to was from using posi screws instead of machine screws with T-nuts. do you want to mount up "factory" pucks so you can potentially change your stance? i think if you used T-nuts that would probably work.

govchez wrote:

if you are talking about my conversion, its because i didnt want to drill any new holes in the deck, and i had the means to easily make the aluminum things. you are totally correct though, you could just mount it with posi screws no problem.

i still have the templates if you want them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:01 am 

Alright, it seems my second question is answered. Many thanks.

I am still left wondering about my first query, though. This is probably my fault more than anything; thus to clarify, I want to use the Voile kit pucks (the hollow, one stance, posi screw set-up), but am apprehensive about doing so because of what happened to BoarderGirl (I believe this is who it was), i.e., I do not want the screws to rip out of the deck. The thing is I have used the Voile kit on another board I use as my rock set-up and have never had any problems.

Anyway, all thoughts are appreciated. Jd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:10 pm 

i think you are supposed to use T-nuts with the DIY pucks, not posi screws. what did you use on your other board? if you use four T-nuts there is no way those things will rip off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:23 am 

jack wrote:
i think you are supposed to use T-nuts with the DIY pucks, not posi screws. what did you use on your other board? if you use four T-nuts there is no way those things will rip off.

The Voile split kit comes with wood screws for the pucks, not T-nuts. People have definitely used that setup w/o issue; only a few people have reported problems. I had no problems with an older board that used the wood screws. If you are worried about it, or are a bigger rider, use t-nuts. It means more holes in the base but it will definitely be stronger. You can also try to line the pucks up so that at least one hole lines up with an existing insert on your board, but that may or may not work depending on your stance location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:13 am 

Ah, there is a thought--use as many of the Burton holes as possible and wood screw the rest. Thank you, jimw and jack for your thoughts. I think I am going to go ahead and see what happens with the wood screws. They have worked well on my old rock board, so they should work for the little lady, who is much smaller than me. Anyway, thank you for thoughts and enjoy the turns. Jd.